Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transom problems with older G3's ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transom problems with older G3's ?

Has anybody heard of this?

I have a transom that is popping corrosion holes in the transom.

Found out this is a common issue due to the chemicals in the marine plywood used.

My buddy who has the exact same year hull has it too. 2002 1756

Seems from what I read G3 knew about this issue, but stayed quiet hoping the 5 years would expire before it "came to the surface". If that's true, shame on G3!

I was quoted $1100 +/- to replace this by a reputable metal boat builder.

Funny how G3 quit using plywood, unh?

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard this before, I believe on tinboats.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Contact G3....Those boats have a lifetime hull warranty for the original owner.....they should make it right. They replaced a boat for my neighbor.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I, like many, am not the first but third owner. This boat was in excellent condition. It still is as no dents or cracked welds, just a deteriorating transom due to no fault of mine.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Still I would contact G3..and talk to them,, they might do something.....you have nothing to loose
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It only costs a phone call.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

These boats originally had a 5 year hull warranty as stated. At 6 years G3 replaced one for me with a small crack. They sent me a new boat after I brought to a dealer asking how I could repair it. He called G3 and they sent me a new hull within two weeks I was shocked. They are a great company and stand behind their products. That being said it sounds like either saltwater or electrolysis on your hull. Plywood was used for many years on aluminum boats and I have never heard of an issue due to plywood treated or not. They quit using plywood due to weight and using a thicker aluminum and also made these rigs all welded. I would consult G3 on proper repair, they may offer help. Though, the boat is 13 years old almost three times the warranty period. Sorry to hear of your problem and hope it's a easy fix.

Post Thanks / Like

I always wash the boat down after a flats trip. There is NO corrosion anywhere else.

There are WAY too many identical transoms with this same problem to be isolated.

The plywood is completely surrounded by welded aluminum. The holes forming are not near any penetrations in the transom.

Use google and you will see. I believe they neglected a recall that should have been done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Still I would contact G3..and talk to them,, they might do something.....you have nothing to loose

And salt will eat anything. I lived in the North and fought salt corrosion on my cars my whole life. Salt is nasty. just sayin'
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transom problems with older G3's ?

I'd be amazed if they fixed a 13 year old transom, but like was said earlier, it's definitely worth a phone call. Product Liability insurance is expensive, and it might be cheaper for Yamaha to fix it opposed to having a future product liability suit.

Being a great company, they usually will help. The age of the boat, and you being the third owner will affect their decision tho.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast