Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braid line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braid line

I have a question for you guys who run Braid,Do you guys tie direct or do you run a leader.Been thinking about trying some out and what brand do you guys think is the best choice.Thanks
    Share the outdoors with our Children.The world will be a better place.

Post Thanks / Like

Strip off half or more of your current line, use a blood knot to connect the braid, You have to have mono or what ever non braid line on the spool as a backer. Most of the set ups I've seen they run a mono leader , double jig , minnow rigs what ever you like on 10lb test or less , The idea is the mono or floro will break but the braid will not. Important note when you snag use a old broom handle or something similar to wrap the braid around to pull it free from the snag, DO NOT USE YOUR HANDS. It will cut you to the bone. I don't use braid except on my cat poles and they have 60-80 lb braid on them , I can't remember the name but there is one brand that is color marked so you can use it for a depth guide ? Mr Goodtime told me a while back he may remember . Hope this helps
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them
    Likes bowhunter63 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Its called Power Pro Depth Hunter. I use plain PP in 30# and tie direct to cranks or jigs. I made some spider rigs out of floro but didn't help much.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA
    Likes bowhunter63, Gobob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use a fluoro leader on my braid but I don't spider rig only long line or jig. It has very little stretch IMHO.
    Likes bowhunter63 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying Berkleys 4# Fireline with a 4# Floro leader tied on with a double albright knot, and I did Use some mono for backing but You can also use some black electrical tape instead. Berkleys super lines are not braid and not mono, but very similar to braid and the best thing is You can cast it a mile! I will use this for casting jigs (roadrunners) I am new to super lines and braids and am impressed with the feel.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used braid for years. Only leader per say is spider rigs tied from mono. Other that that use a Duolock snap and hook straight to jig, crank or what ever I'm using. Only reason I would consider a leader would be if I was fishing ultra clear water which we don't have around here. Never seen it affect the crappie or bass bite in my opinion.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

30#. Where you fishing Shed Aquarium lol
    Likes fishin813, Slab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use PowerPro Slick8 tied directly to the jig.
    Likes metalworx LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Swimbait Fisherman...100% Braid user, since it came out!
    I use Seaguar Smackdown Tourney Braid after using Daiwa Samurai for 3 yrs...the Smackdown is a 8 strand, solid core, ROUND weave...it is smaller, softer, and as strong as the Samurai, seems to have better abrasion resistance...never had any breakage with either.
    No backing is needed for a good round braid...cheaper braid that flattens requires backing so it won't cut into itself...I use full 150yd spool, when braid "wears out" wind it on another reel to use "good end" of spool.
    I use 20lb which is 6lb or less Mono dia...can pull jig heads and swimbaits free from almost anything.
    Also use a hyper snap and swivel also for jig head changes and added swimbait action...never have used a leader...IMHO, a SLAB in stained water, is tracking and looking at that juicy, smelly, 3inch swimbait sushi, and not the Algae colored, large Hair sized fiber that it is attached to!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

10 lb fireline crystal, like gobob said put a backer on first and it wont take near as much high dollar line. I just take a couple of wraps around my handle on my reel and use it to pull if it gets hung up and I cant pull it loose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast