Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cotton Seed Cake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cotton Seed Cake

I read some discussion concerning cotton seed cake on this board. Not familiar with this product. Would like to know more about it, such as, cost, where to purchase, size, does it float, etc.. All replies will be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Default Billr....

Quote Originally Posted by Billr
    I read some discussion concerning cotton seed cake on this board. Not familiar with this product. Would like to know more about it, such as, cost, where to purchase, size, does it float, etc.. All replies will be appreciated

I've always gotten cottonseed cake at a local cotton mill, but some farm stores here in the south carry it also. Cost will vary from store to store, and will usually be more expensive a few months after harvest, but the cost is negligible even when it's off season. It does have a positive bouyancy when first put in the water, but soaks up and sinks fairly quickly. We use produce sacks in a 1/4 inch "net" design like you buy in a grocery store with potatoes or onions in them, along with a rock or two to carry it to the bottom. We also tie a small rope to it to bring it back up and refill if needed. (Might be a good idea to camoflage the rope so it doesn't get "jacked" by an unscrupulous fisherman... :D ) If cotton is a viable crop in Indiana you shouldn't have a problem finding the cake at a mill or a co-op. Best of luck to ya, Billr......

PS.....there are also some "horse and mule sweet feeds" that works good also if you can't find the cottonseed cake.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cotton Seed Cake

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    I've always gotten cottonseed cake at a local cotton mill, but some farm stores here in the south carry it also. Cost will vary from store to store, and will usually be more expensive a few months after harvest, but the cost is negligible even when it's off season. It does have a positive bouyancy when first put in the water, but soaks up and sinks fairly quickly. We use produce sacks in a 1/4 inch "net" design like you buy in a grocery store with potatoes or onions in them, along with a rock or two to carry it to the bottom. We also tie a small rope to it to bring it back up and refill if needed. (Might be a good idea to camoflage the rope so it doesn't get "jacked" by an unscrupulous fisherman... :D ) If cotton is a viable crop in Indiana you shouldn't have a problem finding the cake at a mill or a co-op. Best of luck to ya, Billr......

PS.....there are also some "horse and mule sweet feeds" that works good also if you can't find the cottonseed cake.
    Bill, I am in central Illinois. I am not aware of cotton being grown in this state. I'll check with our local feed stores and see what they have to offer. May have to go with the suggested sweet feeds.

We are waiting for some cold weather so we can do some ice fishing. Our main lakes generally freeze over in the winter, so we fish local ponds. We had a short cold spell over Xmas that got us excited, but, these week it has warmed and is to be close to 60 by Sat.. Will probrably lose what little ice we have.

Thanks for the reply and Hope you and yours have a Happy New Year!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cotton seed cake

Hey Billr,
    There's a net and fishing supply company in Jonesville, LA that carries catfish bait and such. I've bought some cakes from them that were only four or five dollars. They're about 4" x 18" x 36" in size. They have an internet site and also a mail out catalog. www.fishnetco.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billr
    Bill, I am in central Illinois. I am not aware of cotton being grown in this state. I'll check with our local feed stores and see what they have to offer. May have to go with the suggested sweet feeds.

We are waiting for some cold weather so we can do some ice fishing. Our main lakes generally freeze over in the winter, so we fish local ponds. We had a short cold spell over Xmas that got us excited, but, these week it has warmed and is to be close to 60 by Sat.. Will probrably lose what little ice we have.

Thanks for the reply and Hope you and yours have a Happy New Year!
    I will check with a local feed store over here and see if they have cotton seed or know how to get it. I will let you know.

On the same note. We use a poggie meal down here when we cast net for shrimp. We take the meal and make a paste out of it by adding water. Then we make a ball about 2" in diameter an freeze these suckers for a few days.
    Then when we get to the water we throw some in, they sink and as they thaw the meal floats around. I am sure the cotton seed would do the same thing. Just a thought.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch
    Hey Billr,
    There's a net and fishing supply company in Jonesville, LA that carries catfish bait and such. I've bought some cakes from them that were only four or five dollars. They're about 4" x 18" x 36" in size. They have an internet site and also a mail out catalog. www.fishnetco.com/
    Pooch! Thanks for that info and the web address. My barber gave me one of the "bait sacks" a couple of months ago that came from there, and I have been wanting to get some more - but I just don't ever get over that way.

I bought the cotton seed range cubes here in Alexandria at Petrus. I really have not found where they have done any good. Has any of you had real sucess with the baiting?

Post Thanks / Like

here in Texas we use the mesh sacks that butchers wrap hams in .. you may check your local meat market and see if you can buy some ... later Big Lou

Post Thanks / Like

Well guys, I did order and receive some of the bait sacks from Jonesville. The people there are real nice and were real quick with my shipment! Maybe whoever is in charge of advertizing on this site might want to contact them about putting an ad?
    I also bought 3 of their "Power Bait 2's". It is a cake made of soybean and cotton seed cake. I have set two of them out, but have no fish there yet. I will keep everyone posted if things pick up.
    Ken Mc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenmc77777
    Well guys, I did order and receive some of the bait sacks from Jonesville. The people there are real nice and were real quick with my shipment! Maybe whoever is in charge of advertizing on this site might want to contact them about putting an ad?
    I also bought 3 of their "Power Bait 2's". It is a cake made of soybean and cotton seed cake. I have set two of them out, but have no fish there yet. I will keep everyone posted if things pick up.
    Ken Mc
    Ken, It's been my experience that it takes a several days for the cakes to swell and start attracting fish. I hang mine and everyday or so, I'll shake it a little to scatter some out. Sometimes, the small shad look like a school of pirahna's attacking it. Give it a chance.---Pooch