Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to spider rigging looking for rod advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to spider rigging looking for rod advice

Hey guys first time posting on the site. Hope I can get some clarity from you guys past experiences. Past couple weeks I've been attempting to get my Bass Tracker setup for spider rigging. So far I've made the decision and purchases some Cumberland Crappie 360 rod holders and the double seat mount they offer. The guys there were very helpful in helping me decide how to set my boat up. Next I found some Abu Garcia Cardinal sx10 spinning reels. Have used the s model before and think they are really good panfish reels. Might be overkill for spider rigging I guess. The only thing I can't decide is on what rods, length, etc. I've used crappie maxx signature series 7' rods for night fishing under lights and love them. I understand I need around 12' rods for spider rigging but any advice anyone could give would be great. From online research I like the sound of the B'n'M Capps and Coleman rods but haven't seen one in person. I looked at some crappie maxx tightline special rods but kinda think they are too stiff. Haven't got to see the crappie maxx signatuee series in 12' length to see how they feel. Just really don't know at this point what to get. May wait until bass pro has the crappie event in February to see what is on sale.
    Last edited by jprewitt; 01-04-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Southern crappie rods or crappie max signature sieries , easier to get replacement tips for the southern rods .

Post Thanks / Like

B n M Bucks graphite jig pole or B n M prostaff trolling rods in 14ft. The prostaff will hold more weight but the BGJP rods are better for detecting light bites.
    Likes filletfetish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has their opinion but I would recommend 14 footers. Ozark is what I run but BNM has a great pole also. Welcome aboard from Conway Arkansas.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

SouthernCrappie rods, and go ahead and get the 14.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Gobob, CrappieFlopper, Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like my Southern Crappie 14's awfully well. You can go on the website at southerncrappierods.com. You can also call and talk to Ed Duke.
    Likes Gobob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Southern Crappie 14 , they are very good rods for spider rigging, That said I started by pulling cranks, then moved to spider rigging , now I'm into pushing cranks. What does that mean ? Well when pushing cranks we run 2-4 oz
    weights and 2 cranks , The Southern is not meant for this much weight, it will do it but it has such a arch in it ,it takes away from its sensitivity . I got some BnM PST , these will handle more weight than I will ever use yet the tip stays sensitive. Now it's not a bad thing to start with 14' Southerns then add some PST's as you get in to more ways to get crappie. Bottom line any of the rods listed Southern BnM Ozark and Mr. Crappie are all good , you can always take 4oz weight on a short leader to the store with you to test the rods you are looking at
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Southern Crappie makes the toughest rod out there. You can't go wrong with B&M either. All I do is troll so the Capps & Coleman in 12 & 14' gives me the spacing I need where the line hits the water. I run 8 poles with 5/8 or 3/4 weights. If you plan on cranking or long lining, a stiffer pole will serve you better because those methods require more line weight. I am only looking for a little backbone and a lot of sensitivity. The main thing is to get a rod you like and that you have confidence in.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever brand you get...get 14 footers.....I use Bn'M Capps and Colemans
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes pesce LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Southern poles in 14 foot. I started with 12 foot b&m but soon found out the 12s were to short. I would be more concerned with length than brand as most brands are of good quality and it more lies with "branding" as to who is the best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast