Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Berkley Fire line and Nanofil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Berkley Fire line and Nanofil

So, I used my wifes crappie pole last weekend, and noticed how coiled the line was, and that spurred a quest for better line. I decided to try some of Berkleys super lines. I bought 10# Fire line for one of My Bass poles and 6# Nanofil for a pole I use for casting Crappie jigs. I loaded it on a Revo spinning reel mounted it on a 7ft BP pole which has small eyelets. I did have to install some Mono on the reel first and a Fluoro leader using a double Albright knot. I went up to a local park lake and tryed it out, it does cast a country mile and the line is very thin, but what I noticed is the line is very noisey when reeling, kinda like a shew shew shew through the eyelets, which is gonna drive Me bonkers! I was thinking the small eyelets could be the culprit, so I mounted the reel on a 7ft St.Croix Mojo bass pole which has bigger eyelets, but still had the shew shew shew noise. Is this normal? I like the line but not the noise, and dont wanna use the Nanofil if its just as noisey.

Merry Christmas everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Try PowerPro Super 8 Slick, it's smoother than any other braids I've used.

Post Thanks / Like

That is the noise braid makes. NanoFil is the farthest casting line on the market...bar none. It has it's drawbacks. It has no abrasion resistance at all and when fishing with 2# test...or any pound test......you must always use a leader. But all braid makes that noise.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    That is the noise braid makes. NanoFil is the farthest casting line on the market...bar none. It has it's drawbacks. It has no abrasion resistance at all and when fishing with 2# test...or any pound test......you must always use a leader. But all braid makes that noise.

Regards
    I've never used braided line before so I guess Your right, I guess I will have to decide if the noise is better than the line twist You get with Mono and Flouro, I dont mind tieing a leader and imagine using this line on lakes vs creeks and rivers will help with the abrasion issues. Not that I use baitcasters, but I wonder if the same is true when You use them?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 513 View Post
    I've never used braided line before so I guess Your right, I guess I will have to decide if the noise is better than the line twist You get with Mono and Flouro, I dont mind tieing a leader and imagine using this line on lakes vs creeks and rivers will help with the abrasion issues. Not that I use baitcasters, but I wonder if the same is true when You use them?
    My experience with braid (PowerPro 10/2) has been :
    it will "sing" when pulled through metal guides, but much less noise when pulled through ceramic insert guides (& only then, when there's "resistance" on the retrieve).

As for mono: (with spinning reel)
    Most line twist is caused by your bait spinning in the air on the cast. This is usually caused by a wrist snap cast. Smoothing out your casting technique will help stop some of that.

You can remove some of the coils set in your line, from extended periods of non-use, by walking off twice the length of a normal cast ... tie the tag end to something ... then stretch the line by pulling it tight a few times ... then untie the tag end and reel the line back on the reel with steady pressure from your thumb & forefinger. I usually do this the day prior to when I'm planning on using that rod/reel.

On the water removal of line twist can be accomplished by cutting off everything and dragging the empty line behind a boat at idle speed, for about 2-3mins. Again, you want to drag a length of line equal to at least 2x a good, long cast.
    You can accomplish the same thing, at home, by dragging the empty line through the grass for a couple of minutes. And, in either case, you want to apply tension to the line as you reel it back onto the spool.

One of the worst things that can happen is to have loose line around your reel's spool, whether it's mono or braid. That's one of the main reasons for birds nests, and loops/knots occurring during a cast.

And just a note of caution, on using braid :

be sure and have something, other than your hand, to wrap braid around when trying to pull a bait free or break the braid (something like a small piece of wood dowel) ... braid will cut you to the bone, if you're not careful. It's also not wise to use the cork or foam handle of your rod, as the braid can & will cut into those, as well.
    And speaking of "cutting" ... a pair of Fiskar Childs Size Scissors will cut braid easier & better than a pocket knife, side cutters, or clippers. It cuts the tag end blunt, so there's no fibers sticking out of the tag end of the line. That blunt end is way easier to push the limp braid through a jig/hook eye.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Pappy, I have tryed most of the methods You mentioned to cure line twist, but I would say I am guilty of the wrist snap cast quiet a bit, when bass fishing I love fishing tubes for smallies and I know they will twist Your line, I've often thought I should tie a leader with a swivel to help. Also I didnt mention it before but the reel actually sings along with the guides! thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, you must have good eyes or be a lot younger than me! I couldn't see or feel that 6lb Nanofil. I have 4 loaded with the 10lb green Nanofil though and love it.
    The fishing was so good I thought it was yesterday

Post Thanks / Like

I am 55 and need readers, I normally run Hi vis mono to help with light bites, but think the feel of the braid will compensate for what I cant see, I am impressed at what you can feel with the line, I fished a jig and a shakey head craw on bottom and was amazed, I plan on using it for casting rigs so it will be fished on a tight line.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the power pro slick 8 as well

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 513 View Post
    I am 55 and need readers, I normally run Hi vis mono to help with light bites, but think the feel of the braid will compensate for what I cant see, I am impressed at what you can feel with the line, I fished a jig and a shakey head craw on bottom and was amazed, I plan on using it for casting rigs so it will be fished on a tight line.
    I have but one outfit for braid ... a 7' Bionic Blade rod. When using a jig on that braid outfit, I've usually got a splitshot sinker about 8-10" up the line from the jig. And I'll tell ya what ... even the smallest peck on that jig comes across as a "thump" where there's no mistake about it being a hit.
    And yes, I do use it to cast jigs without the sinker ... and watch the line. It's fine for that, but I just put the sinker on whenever I'm fighting wind/waves to stay on a spot, when most of my attention is on the electronics and not so much on the line.

The primary use for that outfit is to cast Roadrunners or Whirly Bees ... so I have a better chance at pulling them free from snags. Setting the hook is a mere sweep of the rod as I continue to reel in ... no jerking of the rod needed. When I'm using the jig or jig/sinker ... a quick flick of the wrist is all the hookset power needed with that rod/line.

... cp