Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longlining from rear of boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longlining from rear of boat

I was by myself today and played around with long lining from the rear of the boat with my new Terrova. Really strange steering from the rear. I also found it hard to keep the boat in 10-12' foot of water where I had been catching them spider rigging. I kept running up in to 7-9' and my jigs where dragging the bottom. It was hard having to steer the boat by turning around and looking at the depth finder on the console. Any tips for longlining at the rear of the boat when you are by yourself?

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been thinking of doing this myself since I fish alone all the time. I usually side pull but when I take my boy its hard stopping and going tying his jigs and hang ups. I thought I could get a terrova and trace a route that's 20-23ft deep or however deep they are and set it to go and let it run the whole trace mile long then do it again. Does that sound like it'd work?
    War Eagle 1754RG Side pulling. Kansas bow hunter.
    Booners & Bands Lodge.
    All men die few ever really live.

Post Thanks / Like

Just put a bar across back of boat and rod holders 4-6 and pull your jigs foot from the bottom
    Booners & Bands Lodge.

Post Thanks / Like

When I am long lining I have 3 rod holders on each side up front with 3 diffrent length rods on each side then I put 4 out the back I stay up front if you catch one in back most of time they hook their self so you don't have to rush to get them just set your cruise on your terrova and electronic compass and your ready to go.
    Likes TowboatTroller, trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

How fast do you go when long lining
    Booners & Bands Lodge.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to long line from the back of the boat but you do have to make wide turns. You have the best trolling motor for long lining for sure I guess it will take some getting use to. Keep your rods separated by atleast two feet or more this will help when bringing in a fish. I have a few videos on my youtube channel you can checkout that shows boat setup. I know for a fact and over 15yrs of long lining that the back of the boat catches more fish by a lot. Keep working on it and im sure it will become your go to technique. I keep my speed between .8 and 1.2MPH for long lining.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Do like Grant was talking about. Go out and run a couple of routes and record them. Then pick one, set it to follow the route and set your cruise control. Does a pretty good good job unless wind is blowing pretty hard. I have a stick steer with finder mounted in front yet I'll long line or pull cranks from rear.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Takeum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've left the collar down on the terrova so that when its deployed the head is still out of the water. Then fired up the big motor and ran along a path I'd like to fish. After I am done recording it I'll just drop the head and tell the motor to go back along the path. Works pretty good.
    Likes vic n, SeaRay, Tom 513, Jman5626, Marvin LIKED above post

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drill instructor View Post
    I prefer to long line from the back of the boat but you do have to make wide turns. You have the best trolling motor for long lining for sure I guess it will take some getting use to. Keep your rods separated by atleast two feet or more this will help when bringing in a fish. I have a few videos on my youtube channel you can checkout that shows boat setup. I know for a fact and over 15yrs of long lining that the back of the boat catches more fish by a lot. Keep working on it and im sure it will become your go to technique. I keep my speed between .8 and 1.2MPH for long lining.
    and the man catches some good fish too !!!!!!!

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the thread, I'm for sure picking up some tips..
    I made my trolling rack for the back which is 3/8 X 1 1/2 inch aluminum. I mounted my SpyderLok heads to it, three on each side. I have a 998 mounted in the center which is in my Ethernet. Picks up all the good spots previously marked. Cray has an excellent suggestion with creating tracks.
    On each side I have a 14 ft then an 8 ft with 10s at about 10 degrees offset out the back. Works great for me.
    Only pic I could find, my friend is blocking the FF, but you get the idea..
    **** Click my Logo for products and ordering info****
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast