Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fishing boat houses in the winter

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing boat houses in the winter

[1] Am I wasting my time fishing boat houses in the winter time? [not catching nothing]
    [2] If not what’s the best way to fish them? And what kind of bait
    Last edited by westsam; 12-15-2006 at 05:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been destroying them around docks and boathouses! Just doing the usual, slow jigging and they just cant resist my presentation!
    A bad day fishing is better than a good day working anytime. So says the Perchmaster!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Docks and boat houses are what we fish 80% of the time...We use small spoons tipped with a minnow...Like Perchmaster said slow jigging.....Works everytime...

Post Thanks / Like

i agree we had a great day fishing mostly boathouses yesterday. we threw jigs at them with great success. probably depends what part of the country your in. water temp here was 53 degrees im not sure what will happen when it gets colder.

Post Thanks / Like

Water temps here are around 50ish. The docks I am fishing are in 12ft of water and the fish are right on the bottom. They stay there year-round and I catch them every time I go but I have access to restricted dock areas that very few people are allowed to enter. The fishing pressure is virtually nil other than the few other people that have access to the docks.
    A bad day fishing is better than a good day working anytime. So says the Perchmaster!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The depth under the dock is probably the key to its productivity in the winter. A deep water dock with even deeper water nearby will hold more crappie in the winter than a shallow water dock. Plus, in wintertime the bite is going to be very light and slow. If the jig you are pitching isn't getting them to bite, downsize for a slower fall. If that doesn't work you might have to go with livebait under a slipfloat and just let it sit there 3-5 minutes before moving it.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for the reply. [love this forum]

Post Thanks / Like

Darryl,

When you fish Hamilton do you fish docks? If you do, does anyone ever say anything to you? Or do you just fish bamboo piles?
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slipcork
    Darryl,

When you fish Hamilton do you fish docks? If you do, does anyone ever say anything to you? Or do you just fish bamboo piles?
    There are some docks I fish and they all have ample brush under and in front of them. I rarely fish them for long periods, but rather usually in a run and gun fashion. The longest fish my boat has caught was 18" on July 7 right in front of a dock just off the main channel near the Hwy 7 short bridge.

As far as folks saying things to me, it's about 50/50. About half of them are very friendly, chat with you and just want to talk about fishing in general. The other half will probably die of bitterness. If they are fishing there from a boat or from the dock I would never horn in on them. But, if they're not fishing it I will.

When they gripe at me I usually remind them that it is illegal for them to harrass or interfere with an angler in the legal pursuit of game fish and that the AGF Enforcement and the Garland Co. Sheriff will agree with me that I'm fishing public water. I have them on speed dial in my cellphone and give them an option to find out firsthand. I never board their dock, enter their slip or rest my boat against the dock. These grumpy old men would reap from me more than they've ever sown if they would just learm to be nice.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Darryl,

Grumpy old man sounds like my Dad. He is one that thinks that is OUR brush piles. I just like talkin to the people fishin to see if they are doin any good. See how they are fishin.

Sank two buckets and two block type condos todays. If I tell Dad, he won't want anyone to fish them. So, I won't tell him. We'll just fish them.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer