Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Loop knots?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loop knots?

How many of you guys use loop knots? If you do what's your favorite and do you tie it all the time or just specific times?

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use a loop knot when vertical jigging and always on the upper jig on a double jig rig. I started out using a double overhand knot on the loop, but if I got the bottom jig hung up (tied with a Palomar) the line would break at the top jig and I would lose both about half the time. So, I switched to a figure 8 loop knot and I think it holds up better, and it is a smaller knot.

Post Thanks / Like

I use loop knots anytime Im using a jig basically. About a month ago I started using quick change snaps, only have to tie the knot once then. (clinch knot then)

Post Thanks / Like

Double surgeons loop on everything with a jig involved. Trilene knot on everything else.
    Likes filletfetish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It's been years since I've used a loop knot with crappie jigs, single or double jig rigs. My thought is that the eye of the jig rubbing freely inside the loop of the line has got to create a much greater degree of wear than direct tying. But that's just the way my mind works.

I know jigs swim more freely with a loop or non-direct tie, so for many years now, I've been using "snap hooks" (jannsnetcraft.com). Although these extremely light weight metal hooks were intended for fly fishermen, I find the medium size #2's to work extremely well with 1/16 & 1/32 oz. crappie jigs. And as an added bonus, it facilitates quick jig changing (however, you do have to grip the snap hook with a pair of needle nose pliers to get the jig off and back on again). This device reduces line wear & tear quite a bit, in my experience. I use Trilene knot (with all my direct ties) to tie to these snap hooks - single or double rigs. Has worked very well for me for many years now.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I use loop knots but recently switched to snap swivels. very small ones. I was getting line twist from the jigs motion..the swivel seems to have stopped that. time will tell how well it holds up.

Post Thanks / Like

I use loop knots most of the time no need to use any clips that's just more $

Post Thanks / Like

I use a loop knot but have thought about using a snap. does the snap take away the feel of a light bite??

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used both the loop knot and also the snap. Both work extremely well. Tie a small snap on your line using a Palamar Knot. The snap makes it very easy to change lures.

To tie a loop knot thread your line through the lure one time. Pull about five inches of line and then hold both pieces of line in your left hand. Take the lure and just wrap it through the loop you formed three times. Wet it witih saliva and cinch it close to the lure.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

x1!!!!!!!!!!!