Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 3rd trip of the season

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3rd trip of the season

I just haven't had the desire to get out on the water this summer but today, I just had to agree to go. My fishing partner called and told my wife that we HAD to go since there weren't going to be too many more 80* Sunday's this year. OK, ya twisted my arm, I give up!

Name:  IMG_0153.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  55.8 KB

He started off pretty quick, 3rd cast and hooked a LMB that went in to the cooler. We normally catch a bunch just under the legal limit but this one was over by a good margin. We have lots of Friday afternoon fish fry's over the winter so we need to put some in the freezer. I was even quicker; 1st cast and a small bluegill that went back for another day. It was also my last fish for the next 2 hours! He got 2 more bass before we moved along up to where I knew we'd get some better panfish. We had to work for them but we found them in deep water, just above what I believe would be the thermocline (as shown on the HB) at 23'. Remembering Bee's advice to work the electronics, we hovered over them and kept picking them up now and again. I had to remind him that these were very light biters at this time of year and he did better than I, both in numbers and size.

Name:  IMG_0165.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  65.4 KB

He did most of the cooler filling, including this 15" beauty. I had the small calico of the day at just over 12".
    We ended up with with the 3 keeper LMB, 1 'gill, 1 nice yellow perch and 7 crappie.

All in all, it was a nice Fall Sunday afternoon here in NE. I'm really glad I went out today rather than cutting the grass and straightening things up around the homestead here. I might even have to plan another trip or 2 before the weather turns.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

great! Fishing this time of year is beautiful, with the foliage.
    Nice fish! I've heard there's some good fishing down there in CT. My grandfather had a place in Sharon, CT, and when he passed we sold the place to some nice folks who invited us to come back and visit. I know there's some good ponds around there, and one of these days I''ll head on down.

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking crappie! Hopefully I'll be able to get out again before this week is up. The time is rushing by.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I bet if your grandfather lived in Sharon, he fished Mudge Pond, also called Silver Lake by some. I fished it many years ago but these days, its just too big for my rowboat. Funny, I keep wishing to head north to get out of this screwed up state. We actually have a piece of land west of St. J, but will probably never move there at this stage of our lives. Vermont sure if beautiful. Brother used to live in Burlington and we went up often.

This fall is FLYING by already and I'm not ready for winter but I don't think I have a thing to say about it. At least my firewood is ready to go. Leaves were falling heavy today; really feels like hunting season, too.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Mudge Pond, that's it! I couldn't quite remember the name of it, but that's one of the places we used to visit.
    He had two small ponds on his land-- no crappie, but plenty of bluegill and an occasional brook trout. Caught my first fish there at 2 or 3 years old!

VT is beautiful for sure, like you said. I was born in St Johnsbury! There wasn't much work up there for my parents so I grew up in Burlington, after a short time in Sharon living in an outbuilding with the spring as a refrigerator Good water up there on Sharon Mtn. I have good, fishy memories of CT, but like you said "screwed up state", and when it came time to deal with the house it was just too far from home.

Speaking of St J, and the NEK in general... the other problem with it is that there just aren't any crappie up there! Some nice trout, but as far as I can tell the only crappie up that way are in the Moore Reservoir on the CT River. I would love to be wrong about that. Work takes me up that way now and again (from Burlington) and I try to fish when I go.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice story and great Pics. Congrats on the trip