Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Jig type jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Question Grizzly Jig type jigs

I happen to be a fan of Grizzly Jigs for gills. I have most all of their patterns and like them.
    There are a very few patterns I and a friend would like to tie on our own with some changes.
    Does anyone know of someone that offers this type bare lead jig for sale? There are a couple other companies in the Reelfoot Lake area that sells this type made up jig, so they have to come from somewhere, unless they all pour their own with altered jig molds. :rolleyes:
    As for the patterns they do make, they are simply too reasonable to make it worth the trouble to tie. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...eads&noImage=0

Bass Pro Shops has them, too.

Post Thanks / Like

deathb4disco, Thank you for the link, but the grizz jigs are completly different. They are poured on a fly hook with the hook eye out the front. I contacted Do-IT- Mold Co and they do not make the mold for it, but I would imagine that one of them could be altered. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I'd bet the Cabelas/BPS jig would be just as good. I think the main thing is the color and profile of the jig.

If you're set on that hook eye, though, you can always use brass or tungsten beads:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...538&id=0030359

Or you could tie in some lead dumbell eyes like a Clouser minnow.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks again,

I have been tying on standard jigs for a while. I just thought it would be neat to use the same kind that I like the action of. I use these sometimes with a fly rod also. But, you are right, the turned up hook eyes work fine.
    It isn't often these days to hear- Not Available. lol
    I did get some painted lead beads from an Iowa flytying supplier named Garylee Thurm. I haven't gotten around to trying them yet ,but will. Thanks again, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

How are you fishing the grizzly jigs? On a fly rod? Or with a spinning rod under a float?

Casting or vertical jigging?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs Not available.

My favorite way of fishing the grizzly jig is actually slow trolling for deep summer gills from a fish cat #4 float tube. I put a shot out ahead of the jig about a foot and drop it to the bottom ,pick up a tad ,and slowly slip it across the bottom if bare, or top of the weeds. I've watched the presentation on a camera and no supprise that it works well. If the bite is real tough, I'll free fall a tiny one like Bill's Water Flea in water on a dam face as deep as 20 ft. Works well there too. I do fish quite a bit with slip float also, but in that case the jig fly hangs mostly verticle. That is where I like the standard jigs just as well.
    No use to get all in a tizzy over this fly jig just because It is NOT AVAILABLE. lol
    My wife says that is not the only thing I see and want but can't have. lol I hope she is thinking of a boat I'm looking at. Wish you tight lines, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly Heads

If such a head was available, what size head would you be interested in? I also need to know what hook size you would need as well? Like grandpa always said, SON, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR, CAUSE IT JUST MAYBE OUT THRERE....lol.......Good Fishin' ......the Grouse Fly

Post Thanks / Like

Default jig specs.

I have some fly hooks on hand that are very close to the ones on the jigs. They are marked --Mustad- fly hooks -[ ref. 9671 ] [ size 10 ] [wet nymph hook] The eye looks to be turned down very slightly more than the Grizz jigs but not a problem . Actually, straight eye would be fine.
    Never answered last question properly. I use spinning outfit most of the time with both balanced slip float and free fall jig-fly. Also like using Grizz jigs on fly rod especially in river-stream current. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default fly head specs.

I use a Mustad fly hook as well most of the time, either a 94840 or a 94833. I have been tinkering around here lately with some gold fine wire aberdeen hooks that I got from a guy. They make a pretty nice head and I think they may straighten out easier if you get snagged. This spring will tell the tale. It sure it a neat little head though. We like to use them in the river for whites. They seem to come through the water better when you use them under a cork/float. I guess not really better, just straighter than a standard jig head does. Thats just my two cents......The Grouse Fly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast