Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to Florida Fishing, not new to fishing, but could use some help please.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Florida Fishing, not new to fishing, but could use some help please.

Hi,

Hope I'm not posting this in the wrong forum? Anyhow this old timer and his wife have just moved to Florida, hopefully I will be learning how, to catch, some of these specs? Crappies.

Long story short, sold ALL my freshwater equipment 10 years ago and took up Saltwater Surf Fishing. Too old for that anymore!!

OK, I would like some suggestions for spinning gear for Crappies. Rods, Reels, line? I would guess a good sized assortment of jigs ( weights?) tails or?? Any preferred colors? For bait fishing, a special type of bobber?

I hope to be fishing in the Lakeland area. We are South of Lakeland now, and some of the small Lakes nearby have very stained water, is this common throughout Florida?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Pescador

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the dark tanic acid stained water is very common. How are you wanting to fish? Bank, boat, trolling or single poling? Black/chartreuse, purple/chartreuse, white/firetail and bubblegum/chartreuse are good starters for colors. 1/16, 1/8 and 1/32 are good weight jighesds to use as well as roadrunners. Watch the Florida board for slabfests and come fish or even ask to bum a ride. Can learn plenty at them and meet some folks too. Also come to any Florida Crappie Club tournies and fish or see weigh in and talk with folks. And post questions here or the Florida board. But specific lake or river questions will be better answered on the Florida board.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I will be bank fishing, as inquiries tell me, there are not many rental boats available. Thanks for your help, huntinslabs. I will be watching the Florida forums.

pescador

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you have got to do at least once is fish for Oscars in the Everglades. I made my first trip down there this year and it was a riot.
    Here is my post from the trip,

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...-done-ruint-me

Plenty of choices for fishing in Florida both fresh and salt, but this was one of the most fun trips I've done.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Little manatee river state park rents canoes and kayaks and is a very fishy and scenic river. Most all the state park and county parks on water rent canoes and kayaks. Anglers resort in Dunellon rents motor boats and pontoons. Highbanks marina in Debary and Hontoon Island in Deland both rent pontoons. Lots of water to fish here with ample access just takes some hunting to find em.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    Little manatee river state park rents canoes and kayaks and is a very fishy and scenic river. Most all the state park and county parks on water rent canoes and kayaks. Anglers resort in Dunellon rents motor boats and pontoons. Highbanks marina in Debary and Hontoon Island in Deland both rent pontoons. Lots of water to fish here with ample access just takes some hunting to find em.
    Sure wish I could fish from a canoe or a kayak! Too old and too many spare parts anymore for that.

I will check out Dunellon, and other marina's, a row boat would be OK too. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Regards,
    pescador