Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long line trolling help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long line trolling help

1. When trolling do you guys still tip your grubs with minnows? 2. Do you run doubles? 3. What speed? 4. Do you use small outboards to troll? 5. Jig weights? 6. When using double jigs do you use same size jigs for top and lower one? 7. Does water color dictate jig colors?

Post Thanks / Like

1. I sometimes tip my jigs with minnows in cold water. Most of the time I don't, since if I am longlining I am covering water looking for aggressive fish

2. Yes and no, depends on conditions...most time I run a single 1/16 and a #3/#5/#7 size splitshot about 18 in up...but if the fish are deep (20-30 ft) I will run
    double 1/16 jigs and sometimes when they are shallower as well. If the fish are biting on double rigs than by all means double rig.

3. My best speed is .6 to 1.2...sometimes faster if the fish are really aggressive.

4. no...I use a Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 with co-pilot...variable speed is a must

5. 1/32, 1/16, and 1/8 are all I troll with.

6. Most of the time I will double rig 1/16 top and bottom, sometimes a 1/32 on top and 1/16 on bottom or even a 1/16-1/8. Experiment with different combos till you find what the fish are hitting

7. YES! Dark lures muddy warter/light lures clear water...favorite combos in dark water are blue/black/char, red/black/char, black/char, blue/char...etc. clear water, acid rain, John deere green, blue shiner, wiess lake killer...etc.

Any other questions let me know and I will be glad to help you out.
    For the Everlasting Glory of the Infantry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davedirt View Post
    1. When trolling do you guys still tip your grubs with minnows? 2. Do you run doubles? 3. What speed? 4. Do you use small outboards to troll? 5. Jig weights? 6. When using double jigs do you use same size jigs for top and lower one? 7. Does water color dictate jig colors?
    Might tip my grub with a plastic minner, but no live bait

run doubles a lot, size varies depending on the depth of fish, sometimes that's what it takes to get bit.

.6mph on up, it varies day to day.

I have a MK Terrova w/ IP,

usually 1/16 or 1/8, but if deep, may go to 1/4, and nothing wrong with mixing the weights up, don't be afraid to try something that sounds crazy, if it gets a bite, then keep with it.

Sometimes the heavy on top, sometimes on bottom, again, adjusting the spread between jigs can be a factor as well.

Can start with a wide spectrum of colors and start narrowing it down, just like you do with pulling cranks, some colors work today but don't work tomorrow.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I will sometimes tip my jigs with minnows or waxworms to entice a better bite if it is slow. I do run with doubles sometimes when the bite is slow and I want more action but most of the time I use single. I troll at .8-1.2 mph and use the wind when I can to my advantage. I use a Minn Kota 55 lb bow mounted trolling motor to long line. I use 1/8 on windy days and 1/16 and 1/32 on light days. When I use double rigging I always have the same weight or the heavier one on the lower. Water color does dictate jig color as well as sun or cloudy days. Use different combos to find what works.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davedirt View Post
    1. No
    2 . Most of the time, at least on a couple poles. I like a non slip loop knot....leave a long tag end, and make another loop. 3. Anywhere from .5 to 1.2 4. TM only 5. Weights are from 1/32 to 1/4 oz. for me. It depends on how fast I will be going and what depth I'm trying to achieve. 6. Similar to question 5, it depends on my objective. Sometimes It's the same color jig, different size, and sometimes I'll switch it up and try to mimic a bigger bait chasing a smaller bait. (I think I'm tapping in to the psyche of the crappie, but probably just entertaining myself) 7. ALWAYS