Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Storing fish in the freezer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Storing fish in the freezer

I'm sure most of us store fish in our freezer in some way or another. I was curious to know how everyone else stores their fish.

I started vacuum sealing my fish about 6 months ago and I'm pretty satisfied. I've been making meal size packages of fish. It takes a little patience to get everything out and seal up a bunch of fish but it's well worth it in my opinion. My wife and I eat a lot more fish now. I think it's because we can thaw out a meals worth pretty quickly. And it pretty much tastes fresh.
    The packages of fish take up a lot less room compared to bags of iced fish too.

I've learned a few tricks about vacuum sealing lately.

Make sure the fish is somewhat dry. Wet fish makes a big mess.
    Put a paper towel or napkin in the bag between the fish and the vacuum sealer to catch any extra moisture. Keeps the mess from getting into the sealer.

You can also preseason fillets before you seal them. I only tried this a couple times and works pretty good. I tried cajun spices, lemon pepper and some of that grilled steak seasoning. The steak stuff was suprisingly good.

Anyways, how do you all store your fish? Do you do anything particular to make your fish extra tasty?
    Last edited by freeflow_23; 11-22-2006 at 08:55 AM.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vacuum Seal

I also vacuum seal the fillets. You are right about the freshness and longer life of this type of freezing. I also found that the paper towel is needed for damp fish to prevent the water getting to the seal. If you have time to flash freeze the fillets, then you can get only the amount you want out and then reseal the rest back in the package. By flash freeze or pre-freeze I mean to spread the filets out on something and freeze them for about 1 to 2 hours or until thay are firm. You can then put them into the bag and they will not stick together and seal them as before. Be careful if you have any sharp edges because this could damage the bag when the vacuum is applied.
    Last edited by deputyking; 11-22-2006 at 08:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

We use plastic 1 lb coffee cans mostly and freeze the fillets in a solid block like that. 3 lb marg containers work for a meal for 4 (when we have another couple over) The square ZipLock freezer containers are inexpensive and would be more space efficient and will use them if we ever need but we have a large freezer.

Our fillets keep forever, we have overlooked the occasional container and thawed out fish almost 2 yrs frozen with no noticable ill effects. I rinse & rinse & rinse my end product fillets then soak in the fridge for a day in saltwater w/fresh lemon or lime juice, then rinse again & pkg.

Deputy King, what kind of critter you astride of in your avitar? What does the farrier get in your neck of the woods for a trim (left barefoot)? A shoeing?
    Just curious. $25 & $75 (I charge) and thats about average for here.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by horseshoer
    We use plastic 1 lb coffee cans mostly and freeze the fillets in a solid block like that. 3 lb marg containers work for a meal for 4 (when we have another couple over) The square ZipLock freezer containers are inexpensive and would be more space efficient and will use them if we ever need but we have a large freezer.

Our fillets keep forever, we have overlooked the occasional container and thawed out fish almost 2 yrs frozen with no noticable ill effects. I rinse & rinse & rinse my end product fillets then soak in the fridge for a day in saltwater w/fresh lemon or lime juice, then rinse again & pkg.

Deputy King, what kind of critter you astride of in your avitar? What does the farrier get in your neck of the woods for a trim (left barefoot)? A shoeing?
    Just curious. $25 & $75 (I charge) and thats about average for here.
    You know, I never thought about using my coffee cans. Everytime I throw one away, I think there has to be something I could use that for. Thanks for sharing the idea. I will use it.

I also freeze mine in water.

Post Thanks / Like

We always freeze ours in water in freezer bags, as I zip the top closed, slowly pushing water out of the top of the bag, so no air is in at all. Been doing it for as long as I can remember.
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet

Post Thanks / Like

after an overnight soak in saltwater,i simply put filets in ziplock freezer bags,drop bag in water with the opening above waterline and squeeze all the air out.zip up,put in freezer.have kept them up to a year with no freezer burn,and they cookup great.

Post Thanks / Like

Vaccume seal them. One trick is to lay them out on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer for an hour. Then vaccume seal them. The moisture won't be sucked out of the fish and into the seal that way.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default freezing crappie

I use a vacum sealer. I have two a BLACK AND DECKER and a FOODSAVER i've found the less expensive black and decker, has a stronger vacum than the foodsaver, but is more difficult to use. I also use the paper towel method and seems to work fine.