Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: patterson fishing report

crappiejerker Guest

Talking patterson fishing report

my dad and I went to bayou teche on saturday in patterson and tried to find some slabs . We fished all the peirs behind the homes along the canal and also tried to find some that were suspended in the middle of the channel .
    We fished for about 4 hard hours and did not even get a bite . It's getting so frustrating trying to locate a few sacailait to make a small fish fry . I haven't hit a good mess of fish since the middle of august . And I fish almost every weekend . So now you know why I'm getting frustrated . I think I'm going to call it quits for a while and try to spend a couple of trips sinking some structure to fish around because it's like trying to find a needle in a hay stack when it comes to finding submerged structure . Any tips on what type of trees to sink would greatly be appreiciated . thanks and always remember a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work .

Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking into it also ,I have heard that "Willow" is a good natural material to use for fish reef .( I don't know if baiting is legal or not) But you might try baiting the reef to help attract fish faster Some people say to use cotton seed cake ,dry or can dog food , old fish bodys , One guy I work with said to use any dead animals you find on the side of the road will work .I don't know about that , but I know a few people that says it really works well . I want to give it a try ,but I haven't had the time to call WLFD to find out the legal parts of it yet .I will try to find out within the next few days. Let me know how it works .. GOOD LUCK
    Fish all you can, You can work anytime !!!! Big Mike :cool:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike
    I have been looking into it also ,I have heard that "Willow" is a good natural material to use for fish reef .( I don't know if baiting is legal or not) But you might try baiting the reef to help attract fish faster Some people say to use cotton seed cake ,dry or can dog food , old fish bodys , One guy I work with said to use any dead animals you find on the side of the road will work .I don't know about that , but I know a few people that says it really works well . I want to give it a try ,but I haven't had the time to call WLFD to find out the legal parts of it yet .I will try to find out within the next few days. Let me know how it works .. GOOD LUCK
    I have a friend in Texas that wrote me and suggested I bait with cotton seed cake. It must work. Several other people told me about it also.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deacon and Big Mike.....

I checked into the legality of baiting back in the summer. They told me it was legal, but did not specify any kind of bait that was illegal. They did say that cottonseed cake was the most popular used, and canned dogfood was also used, but they said the dogfood attracted more catfish and rough fish than crappie and minnows. My grandfather used paper sacks with pencil sized holes and a pound of "Sweet Mule Feed" with a rock for weight. He did well with that system. You might go ahead and check with your local LDWF office just to be sure the regs are the same as N. LA. Good luck....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    I checked into the legality of baiting back in the summer. They told me it was legal, but did not specify any kind of bait that was illegal. They did say that cottonseed cake was the most popular used, and canned dogfood was also used, but they said the dogfood attracted more catfish and rough fish than crappie and minnows. My grandfather used paper sacks with pencil sized holes and a pound of "Sweet Mule Feed" with a rock for weight. He did well with that system. You might go ahead and check with your local LDWF office just to be sure the regs are the same as N. LA. Good luck....
    That sounds about right. I think there is no difference in N. LA and S. LA on this reg.
    I'd rather be fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiejerker
    my dad and I went to bayou teche on saturday in patterson and tried to find some slabs . We fished all the peirs behind the homes along the canal and also tried to find some that were suspended in the middle of the channel .
    We fished for about 4 hard hours and did not even get a bite . It's getting so frustrating trying to locate a few sacailait to make a small fish fry . I haven't hit a good mess of fish since the middle of august . And I fish almost every weekend . So now you know why I'm getting frustrated . I think I'm going to call it quits for a while and try to spend a couple of trips sinking some structure to fish around because it's like trying to find a needle in a hay stack when it comes to finding submerged structure . Any tips on what type of trees to sink would greatly be appreiciated . thanks and always remember a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work .
    Hey Crappiejerker,
    Make sure you post the positions of this structure you are sinking. (LOL)
    I just about have enough money saved for a GPS. Next month I think I will get one one of those hand held type units. It's just one more toy for the boat.
    Then I think I will go and sink some of the structures I made over the summer.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.