Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Down Imaging Fish Finders - Any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Down Imaging Fish Finders - Any recommendations?

Hey, I am in the market for a new down imaging fish finder. I like what I see online but there are not many reviews. Everyone seems to be arguing over the Hummingbird vs. the Lowrance. What about the Garmin units? Anyone use a Garmin fish finder? Most people are saying the hummingbird is better than Lowrance. I know I am opening a can O worms here on brands, but I like the idea of downscan for finding structure. I fish Kerr Lake NC and Holt Lake in Butner, NC and Eno river, NC and anywhere near Raleigh Durham.

DrNip is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the new Garmin DV units with DownVu and chirp. I'm looking hard at the 50dv.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Garmin makes good units. Their DI units are so new your not going to see much on them right now. Depending on which unit you are talking about when debating Bird vs Low on DI quality. I own a 998 bird but from what I have seen in straight DI Low is probably a little better. If that Garmin on the water produces the quality as their advertising pictures it would be a good unit. Go some where and put your hands on the ones your interested in. Check for the features you see as important to you.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about fishfinders, but I was in the market recently. I did a lot of looking and settled on a Garmin. What finally put me over the top was talking to the clerk at Bass Pro who told me they "never" get a Garmin returned. Take that for what it's worth.
    Willie
    Vegetarian: An old Indian word for Bad Fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great fellas thanks. Anyone know a good source for the chenille jigs on sickle hooks? I like the bright colors with the kicker. Need to learn to tie some myself!

Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to beat the Garmin quality. I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

If you r in the market for DI's I am wanting to possibly change to some SI and have two 858s that I am gonna sell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Baldguy0722 View Post
    If you r in the market for DI's I am wanting to possibly change to some SI and have two 858s that I am gonna sell
    PM sent

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance hds touch units. If its in that not out of your prixe range. I have the hds 7 touch with structure scan and I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Find nightprowler on here.....can make you jigs! I run Lowrance HD's touch. Right now like anything else technology continues to advance! Garmin "chirp" is the future. Raymarine is also hot the "dragonfly". More people are going to go this way. Check out Raymarine....buddy just bought one and the downscan is better pic than my Lowrance. Now they are going up to a 15" screen....Dear Lord!!!!