Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluegill checker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bluegill checker

Gill and shellcracker time is not far away. Everytime I catch a big mess of these hard fighting fish/when I get home they to clean them they look smaller . I would like to have somehing like a "crappie checker" to keep only 8.5 inch fish or larger. A bluegill will not fit right in a "crappie checker". I tried. The body is different shape than a crappie. No I don't want to lay them out on a ruler. Take too much time. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the B'n'M checker. It's taller than the frabill. May not fit all the way to the nose but it should get close

Post Thanks / Like

Just put a piece of tape on your rod at 8.5 inches. Then hold the fish up to it to check. If smaller than 8.5 inch toss it back. If 8.5 and up put in the live well. It takes less time to do that than using frabill type checker. There is no size limit so if you are off 1/4 inch it okay. Right
    Likes Tom 513, crappiecrazy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I cut a notch out of the checker so the Black crappie would fit all the way down . Some of the blacks would not go all the way down because they are shaped more like a bluegill.
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't you just use your hand? My hand is 7". It's easy to estimate another inch and a half.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint a line around your fishing pole 8.5" up from the handle. Easy way to measure fish.

I have my poles with painted marks at 9", 12", 15" and 18". All of the length limits for the various lakes and streams that I fish.

Post Thanks / Like

or you could send away for a Rod Rule, its a calibrated decal that goes on your rod. I personally use my hand like the other guy mentioned, although my hands are 8"

Post Thanks / Like

Yep hand

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the good ideas!

Post Thanks / Like

Im in with the hands for gills
    My rod has a 10" handle for checking crappie when I don't have my Golden Rule on hand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast