Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night lights for crippe fisning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night lights for crippe fisning

I ask this ? a couple weeks ago and got some good advice on the brightest lights and where to order, but do you thank you can get to much light. Just hate to spend 200.00 plus on a light that is too bright, or is the brighter the better Thanks in advance for any help

Post Thanks / Like

The goal is not the brightness of the light. The goal is to draw in fish. I prefer to hang a Coleman lantern about 2' over the water about 3' away from the boat. The bugs land on the light, die and drop into the lake. Better if they are wounded and land in the lake, squirm in distress, driving the fish wild. Keeping the light away from me, keeps the bugs away from me. I also use a 12v 12" green fluorescent light and submerge it about 1' below the surface, both draw in bait fish. Bait fish draw in Crappie.

Not sure where you live or fish. However the lakes I fish are 20+ miles from medium cities (100,000 people). It gets dark at night. I don't need a lot of light to light up the area I am in. If there is a lot of light pollution in your area, you may need brighter lights.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie do not like the light! They hide in the dark and attack the bait fish in the light from below or around them. You don't want a light that will scare the crappie off but keep the bait fish in so I would go with what is working for everyone else. I have the 24" green submersible florescent light and it draws in zoo-plankton which draws in the bait fish which draws in the crappies.
    Or have the lights above the water like above and get bugs to draw in bait fish. You can use the car headlights in styrofoam also as they do not project that far down and does not scare the crappie away. Also the green has been found to work better at drawing in the zoo-plankton.
    Others can chime in here if I am wrong but this is all from what I have read, heard and used in my experience.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with kickingback.
    FISH ON