Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wilgreenlake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wilgreenlake

I live by winchester and the closest lake to my house i believe is Wilgreen lake in Richmond, has anybody ever done good there? any tips greatly appreciated.
    "The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Trey ....

Quote Originally Posted by Trey
    I live by winchester and the closest lake to my house i believe is Wilgreen lake in Richmond, has anybody ever done good there? any tips greatly appreciated.
    I've been on Wilgreen twice .... once Crappie fishing & once Bass fishing. From what I remember of the lake ... I think I'll stick to Taylorsville. :p

From your location .... you might want to consider Cave Run Lake as having greater fishing potential. I'd even go so far as to say Herrington Lake would be a better choice than Wilgreen. ........... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished wilgreen 3 times and the lake gets alot of pressure. My vote is for caverun. Fish the standing timber or brush piles for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks alot, where would the closest ramp for cave run be?

Post Thanks / Like

how far is cedar creek in danville from you?
    WE NEED MORE COWBELL

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Trey ....

Quote Originally Posted by Trey
    Thanks alot, where would the closest ramp for cave run be?
    just take I64 East to exit 133 ... turn off (right) onto Hwy 801 S and keep going until you are driving alongside the lake. You can launch at the Scott Creek ramp (next to the Marina) ... and that will put you close to the dam area of the lake (and across the lake from Caney Cr .. one of the larger creeks in that area). Or you can drive on a little ways farther ... and launch at Twin Knobs, and that will put you about mid-lake (of the main body of the lake).

I've fished it since it was opened (though not much in the last 10yrs) ... but, I've never fished upstream of the Zilpo point. The lake, past that point, is considered "the river" part of the lake ... and it's a bit tricky to navigate.

I've always Crappie fished in Caney Creek, and in the two pockets just before you get to Ramey Creek (coming from Twin Knobs), and just inside the mouth of Ramey Creek. Even the main lake bank, from Twin Knobs to Ramey Creek, can hold some fish .... esp. in the Spring (and if you can find some submerged wood along the way). Never fished it in the Fall ... but, most reports refer to fishing standing timber in 12-20ft of water, around this time of year.

......... luck2ya ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey 52 ....

Quote Originally Posted by crappie52
    how far is cedar creek in danville from you?
    Cedar Creek Lake isn't in Danville .... it's on Hwy 150 between Stanford & Crab Orchard.
    I take Hwy 27 South out of Lexington, and it's about an hour drive for me.

From Frankfort ... you'd take Hwy 127 to Danville (127 links into 150 just South of Danville) and then 150 on to Stanford ... Cedar Creek Lake is about 7miles past the 27/150 intersection. That would be about 1.5hrs drive.

Hwy 150 goes over the dam of the lake ... and you have to go on past that, and turn right at the second turn past the dam. The first turn is a private driveway ... the second turn is marked with a sign, and will take you to a T in the road ... turn right and you'll end up at the dam launch ramp. That's where the "beach" is ... and where the "marina" will, someday, be :rolleyes:
    There's a Bed/Breakfast, bait store, & RV Camping site at the top of the hill that leads to the launch ramp/parking lot.

I have caught Crappie from there ... but, all of them (so far) have been dinks. I do have it, on good authority, though ... that there are some keepers swimming around in there I just haven't been able to go there enough to really pattern them. There are even some Blacknose in there, too ..... I've caught several. ........... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the Cave Run option. I have fished Wilgreen for blue gill which was good but as far as crappie I'd go elsewhere. I fish Cave Run a lot and there are good crappie there. Finding them is the tricky part. The Caney Creek area is good as is the Big Cave Run area if you are fishing the main lake. Other good areas are on either Beaver Creek (channel is marked here) or the Licking River where the channel is not marked and can be dangerous if you don't know where you're going. If it's your fist trip fish the main lake. Don't forget a ramp pass if you go to Cave Run ($3.00 for a one day pass) Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hey Backlash ....

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash
    Don't forget a ramp pass if you go to Cave Run ($3.00 for a one day pass) Good luck.
    Are they still charging for a ramp/parking pass, at Cave Run ?? I thought they revoked that law. They removed the "pass box" at Taylorsville ... and I thought they removed them from all the other lakes, too. Or was the "ramp pass" charge, for Cave Run, being collected for a different reason (or by a different gov. agency) ?? ........ cp