Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/16 or 1/8 jig heads ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1/16 or 1/8 jig heads ?

I'm kind of new to jig fishing,is the 1/8 more for deeper jigging and 1/16 for shallower ? Or is 1/8 more for bigger Crappie ? The Crappie I usally catch are 9"-12" on average. -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

1/8 is used for deeper presentations but a 1/16 can be used just as deep, it will fall slower and stay in front of the fish longer. they will sometimes only take a smaller bait no matter what size the crappie. If the big one only ate larger baits we would all be useing 1/4 and 3/8. I like the 1/16 for an use anytime anywhere bait. you may hace to fish a little slower but if your tring not to get overwelmed with all the different baits on the market., just pick a few and stick with them.the bait you catch the most on will be the one you use the most

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a 1/16 crappie kinda guy.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/32, or 1/16, or 1/8 ounce jig head. I have caught more Crappie on a 1/16 ounce, however there are days the others seem to work better.

If I am Jigging, I'll cut a lot of the lead off of the head for a slower presentation

My $.02
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like

When I get a mind to cast for crappie (seldom) I'll use an 1/8th ounce with a curly tail grub. When tightlining/pitching a jig with a long pole (99% of the time) I'll use 1/16th or 1/32nd. The 1/16th drops fast enough and is heavy enough to fish deep. It's also sufficient enough on rough days to stay in touch with your jig. On calmer days the 1/32 works great for a gradual fall and working it horizontally through or by a brushpile.

CrappieDay is dead on about the fall of the jig and the size. The lighter the jig, the slower the fall. Sometimes the smaller size will get'em when nothing else will. If the 1/32nd doesn't do the trick drop down to a 1/48th. In the past I've even pitched a 1/64th when it's real tough. One that small sinks so slow it almost painful. A crappie will hit it and run. If you let the line go slack at all you'll notice the line swimming off before you feel the bite. Set the hook!!!
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quick answer from me is I use 1/32 and 1/16 in the spring and fall trolling and 1/8 and 1/4 summer or over brush piles. With the heavier ones I just control the fall and when you have a wind blowing you can feel the 1/4 way better than 1/16.

1/16 is probably my favorite though!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/32 mostly and 1/16 alot of the time. The only time I go heavier is if I'm fishing real deep with multiple jigs. I'll put a 1/8 or 1/4 on the bottom and either a couple of 1/32 or 1/16 above it. That lets me get to the depth quick and not let alot of slack in the line while falling. I've used the 1/64 like Darryl, but just like he said "It sinks so slow it's almost painful!"
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs

I use a 1/16 oz. minnow head tube jig most of the time with a 1/32 Bull Shot(split shot) about a foot above it and another 1/32 Bull Shot a foot above that. I think I get a better spiral on the drop by spreading out the sinkers. You will get some line twist,just let out some line and hold your jig out of the water and it will untwist.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally use 1/32 and 1/16 oz. But when its windy I'll bump up to a 1/8 oz. But normally a 1/16 oz will do the trick for me.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

for spring and fall i use 1/48th., 1/32nd.., and 1/16th. i have a honey hole that is 30 ft. deep that i fish in the dead of winter with a 1/8th. i tight line so i can slow down the fall. windy days i use a heavier jig than i would on calm days, lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast