Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: New MotorGuide Xi5

Post Thanks / Like

Default New MotorGuide Xi5

So has anyone seen or researched any of these new motorguide trolling motors? Apparently they are trying to compete with MinnKots's Ipilot navigation.

These motorguides will interface with the Lowrance products it seems, with a special adapter called a pinpoint - Anyone remember the old pinpoint trolling motors? That was the first thing I thought about when I heard that.

I wonder if these new motors or how they will work for spider rigging? Wonder if they will go slow enough as the pictures I saw on Cabelas looks like the knob on the foot pedal has the 1-10 dial on it. I know my first motorguide that had a speed dial presets didn't go slow enough on the first setting to troll.

Whats everyones thoughts?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those old Pinpoint TMs had some great features for their time and when they worked. Problem is they didn't stay working very long and there was only 2 places in the country that could repair them. This I learned from personal experience.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used one but I've been doing some research on them. They use 2 gps receivers in them instead of one. I found some reports of them holding a position very good. There is a company that makes saltwater trolling motors that's called the Rhodan Anchor.... They are supposed to hold within 2.5 feet. They also cost 2000 dollars and can't be out in freezing weather the way I understand it... But, the Rhodan Anchor trolling motor also uses 2 gps receivers and has all the same functions as the new motor guide xi5, so I'm thinking that possibly motorguide bought their design for the xi5. Complete speculation, but the Rhodan is supposed to be extremely accurate on anchor mode, it says that it uses some military technology. So lets hope that is the case that motorguide got this technology from them to offer us for freshwater. They have all the same functions as I can see as the 5 foot movements and all. The only difference I could tell is the Rhodan motor actually turns backwards as well as forward to help keep the boat within a 2.5 foot zone. I'm having high hopes anyway. If I buy an auto anchor trolling motor I want it to work, and from what I hear the I pilot isn't even close to holding a spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Ipilot anchor works fine when used properly.
    Likes rnvinc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits View Post
    Ipilot anchor works fine when used properly.
    What do you have to do to use it properly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by C_McKinney View Post
    What do you have to do to use it properly?
    Allow it to set its way points. Don't just fly up on a spot and hit anchor. Ease up to the area and push it, but remember it has to set up by dropping waypoints in a 5 foot circle. I always approach upwind or current whichever is strongest.Also it may have to turn the swing the back of the boat while setting up. Allow time and distance for this and practice to know how your motor is going to react to conditions. These motors use a lot of power at once so proper wiring and the biggest, best charged batteries are preferred. I use group 31s. Don't expect this motor to work miracles such as holding a light boat still in a 25+ wind.
    Likes Gobob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits View Post
    Allow it to set its way points. Don't just fly up on a spot and hit anchor. Ease up to the area and push it, but remember it has to set up by dropping waypoints in a 5 foot circle. I always approach upwind or current whichever is strongest.Also it may have to turn the swing the back of the boat while setting up. Allow time and distance for this and practice to know how your motor is going to react to conditions. These motors use a lot of power at once so proper wiring and the biggest, best charged batteries are preferred. I use group 31s. Don't expect this motor to work miracles such as holding a light boat still in a 25+ wind.

? I have not read that about it setting waypoints for anchor... I thought the new ones work from a GPS reading from my understanding... I will have to look closer but I just put the new Xi5 with Pinpoint and wireless on my boat last week and used it last weekend... (only been on the lake once with it so far) I was very impressed with it so far and the anchor worked as expected... moved to a location, stopped and hit the anchor button... stayed very close... now of course depending on current and wind the back end of the boat would move but the front locked in.... The course setting worked great... as to how slow it will go exactly, I am not sure but I will check the next time I am on the lake with the GPS... I can say I thought it was slow
    enough I thought it was REALLY slow...

Once the software from Lowrance is available I will be interfacing the Xi5 into my HDS

Post Thanks / Like

do u have to have the xi5 link to a gps unit or is it all built into the TM itself? i have a elite 5 hds on my boat but i have been told they are not campatable with the elite 5 or smaller units?

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the spot lock works well enough to fish brush tops. My back has gotten to the point that I cant hardly use the cable steer without it killing my back. Since I haven't read much good about the auto anchor on I pilot I've held off on buying one, I hope this xi5 has improved on this. Pulling anchors to move 20 feet is a pain too out in open water, and I don't really like using anchors on brush piles at all due to disturbing the fish and messing up the brush piles. I know in the advertisement it says they go very slow also for spider rigging, I'm pretty sure the speed is variable.... Anybody know how tight the xi5 is going to be on anchor mode??? And when it corrects it's self is it an easy slow correction or does it fire up full blast? I've heard the I pilot can be pretty hard to deal with on auto anchor due to overcorrection and high motor speeds when getting back into position.
    Last edited by jimmyfreeland; 02-06-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

One more question I've got is the motor size I would need to work best. I've got a sea nymph 17.5 aluminum. It's a light boat, quite a bit lighter than my buddies 17.5 crappie tracker. I've got a 70# 24v on it now cable, but it's overkill really it seems. But I never run out of battery and it's nice to have the power when I need it. But I'm afraid if I get a big motor, especially with the auto anchor kicked in it will overshoot each time. Whether I get I pilot or xi5 I need to decide on motor size. Was thinking 55lb 12 volt with 2 batteries, but the 24 volt I have now never even comes close to running low, but it is a cable steer and I'm sure the electric steers use a lot more battery. I'd appreciate any input on this also.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast