Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long trolling question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long trolling question?

On my other home lake...Allatoona. ga . We have the winter draw down that usually starts after Labor Day that hasn't happen yet..so much rain this year lake above full pull most of the year. Any way..as the water level falls my target brush becomes sweet at the 9'-13' range. Am I the only one that has a issue with rods being pulled out of holders? I've taped heavy duty cord to my rods so they can be looped on a wing nut to prevent disaster . I've taken 2 years to build up my perfect rod spread and have had two pull out any way( forgot to loop) but was able to make a snatch treble hook on 1 oz lead and retrieve... Any one have a better solution? Or a trick that would look better than cords everywhere and then trying to reel fighting fish and tangle on the cord! Lol. Thanks for any help ya'll give. Later Liftbite
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

Post Thanks / Like

Loosen the drag or go with braid. You don't say what kind of rod holders you use. I've hung up on stumps, rocks, logs, etc, but never lost a rod due to it coming out of the holder. I usually have 4 rods or less out, so I can turn fairly quickly but I have my drag set on the light side to let me know something is off before I lose a rod.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had that happen. Must be a design flaw in your holders. If the holder has a solid loop in the back, no amount of down pressure will be able to pull it out. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1379208107403.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  41.9 KB
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Get HiTek holders and you won't have issues. I have had rods jerked 90% in mine from hang-ups, large catfish and drums up to 15 pounds, and large crappie and bass and have not lost a single rod and reel. I do use trigger rods on my rear facing holders at the transom and they are very unlikely to come out.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Get you some Hi techs just got mine and love them hung a bandit on stump today rod stayed in place line broke hate losing them cranks

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Hi-Tek extreme and run mine amidships out 90* or a little less out the side. If you're trolling straight out the back I can only suggest raising the tips or taping a bolt to the handle with the face pointing forward. With the bolt as a restraint it's impossible to pull it free without lifting it past the bolt. By running mine out the side I haven't lost a rod yet, and have hung brush and 11 1/2lb cat. Trigger rods do make it easy to secure them, but my normal rods are BnM BGJP's with spinning reels.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I have bass pro. The cheep rod holders very similar to the one in the picture...and I assure you my rods would pull out of that one too. I have lew's trolling rods.I pull front and back of boat..if I hit a big brush pile ( I have the trolling motor on constant at .75 mph you can't get off the t-motor fast enough to prevent them from pulling out... The holder will spin towards the back of the boat and out the rod will go...that's why I use a cord to to secure to the bar where the holder is connected. I plan on investing in new holders this week...looking at hi-tech. And bee ready. I've narrowed it down to those two ...thanks for everyone's input.
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Lock your holders down where they can't spin toward the back of the boat.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

You need some of these holders, they aint gonna move cause they lock in place. SpyderLocs will stay in place, rod may break or line but the ack aint going no where.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Bee Ready holders and never had an issue. They say that there is a money back guarantee that they never had to use. I know mine work gres, can't say anything bad about hi-Tec since I don't have any especially any new ones. I did have one probably 5 or 6 years ago and didn't like it as well plus I wanted a holder where I didn't have to drill any holes in my boat.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!