Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: southern pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default southern pro

anybody on here ever used southern pro rods. i'm looking to buy 3 of the 7.5 foot crappie flippin sticks or three of the 8 ft b&m graphite jig polls for trolling jigs. if anybody has used either of them i'd appreciate any kind of info whether it be good or bad.

also if anybody has any info on those richard williams 7.5 footers let me know. they may be worth looking at according to some of the posts on the 10 footers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Richards Rods

I have the Richard Williams Signature Series 7.5 ft Graphite rod and I love it. You won't go wrong getting this rod. It's a great graphite rod and had great guides and a fixed reel handle with cork on the handle. The finish is very niclely done. It's a great rod and it's a bargain for the price he asks. If you buy more than one you can save on the shipping cost.

I would get another one but have over 35 rods as it is. Most were inherited form my dad. All the new ones I purchased over the last twenty years.

My newest rods are the Richard Williams 7.5 ft and his 10ft Graphite Rod which I won at the drawing at the TeeZur Memorial Fishing Tournament this last November. I use this new rod for the first time at Patoka Lake three weeks ago and caught 17 nice crappie with it. It's a nice rod also but it does not come with the real cork handle. Instead it uses the foam handle. All the guides are the same for both rods only the 10ft had more guides. Each rod has a guide ever one foot which is the standard for a good rod.

Quote Originally Posted by abarkley
    anybody on here ever used southern pro rods. i'm looking to buy 3 of the 7.5 foot crappie flippin sticks or three of the 8 ft b&m graphite jig polls for trolling jigs. if anybody has used either of them i'd appreciate any kind of info whether it be good or bad.

also if anybody has any info on those richard williams 7.5 footers let me know. they may be worth looking at according to some of the posts on the 10 footers.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default where

where did you order the richard williams rod from?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abarkley
    where did you order the richard williams rod from?

www.crappiestuff.com

I still like my BPS 7' IM8 crappie rod
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it bad that all my rods and most of my equipment came from Wal-Mart?

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty
    Is it bad that all my rods and most of my equipment came from Wal-Mart?

it just depends on you. what do you want out of a rod. i've caught plenty on wal mart rods, but for spider rigging and trolling, i prefer 10-16 ft graphite rods. you cant buy them at walmart around here, although, i have seen b&m graphite rods at other walmart stores (this is what pisses me off about walmart). another thing about walmart; i like to be able to find something that works and go back and order it or buy it a week later. i dont like to go into a store and find that something has been pulled off the shelf because it isnt selling as well as it should. saying that, i order all my stuff from bps, cabela's, crappie pro.com, drifterfishing.com, grizzlyjig.com when possible.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

One of our local Wally world's had the BnM 12' graphite poles on sale. Normally $37 and marked down to $21. They disappeared in a hurry. I don't know if that was just that store or everywhere.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like my b&m 8' rods but the tip eye really sucks. They're to small and they break off very easily. I replaced my tips with bigger replacement tips that i got from walmart and haven't had a problem with them since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Wal-Mart doesn't negiotate prices with venders. They tell the vender that if they want to market their products though Wal-mart that they will sell them for X amount. The retailer doesn't have any say in the price when they work with Wal-Mart Stores.

But that is a good thing for the consumer as Wal-Mart will make the prices lower. Since Wal-mart is so big they have this type of power to cut the prices and keep them low. Wal-Mart and BnM still make money but just not the huge profits on each pole. They make up for this by selling more units than anyone else.

BnM is lucky to be with Wal-Mart and hopefully it will help them sell many more rods to more potential crappie fishermen.

Of course you can still by the BnM rods online but it may cost a bit more. The upside to that is that you can order the rod that you really want and not have to take just what is on the self at Wally world on the day that you visit the store.

I spend alot of money at wallyworld. I purchased my gas line for my boat, my boat cleats, my trolling motor, my first garmin GPS unit, my crappie nibbles, my tackle boxes, my minnow bucket, my jig heads, my fishing line, well the list goes on and on. Now maybe I can find a new rod that I like. Hope they sell the Sam Heatons at Wal-Mart for a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    One of our local Wally world's had the BnM 12' graphite poles on sale. Normally $37 and marked down to $21. They disappeared in a hurry. I don't know if that was just that store or everywhere.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

My 12ft long BnM Graphite Jig Pole (Model BGJP122) had really small eyes in the guides. The guides inside diameter for the guides near the reel are even small. They don't have bigger guides near the butt section and tapering guides ID's toward the tips. It's one reason I went and purchased the Richard William's Rods with the larger guides for casting.

BUT, the Sam Heation BnM poles come with casting guides and they are very good and have a much larger inside diamter (ID) on those guides and the guides are larger at the base and get progressively smaller as you go toward the tip.

Ask Fatboy to get a caliper and measure the inside diameter of the last guide on the tip of his Sam Heaton Rods from BnM.

The problem with a small eye inside diamter at the rod tip is that the small red bobber stop beads can get stuck in the guide. It depends on the OutSide Diameter of the bead stops. I get my beads in the Packages of Thrill Bobber stop threads. They usually give me a 2mm or 3mm bead size with those.

I want the bead to be large enough in diamter that it won't get stuck or pass though the tip end guide. So I go to the local hobby lobby and buy some beads to use for bobber stops. You can get a lot of beads for just a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc
    I like my b&m 8' rods but the tip eye really sucks. They're to small and they break off very easily. I replaced my tips with bigger replacement tips that i got from walmart and haven't had a problem with them since then.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast