Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shad Patterns

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shad Patterns

Is there any info/knowledge regarding seasonal shad patterns? Maybe what they are doing/where they might be at certain water temps? I think there was mention made of a second spawn for shad....when might that happen? I know nothing about any of our species is set in stone, but maybe if I could find shad, I could find the crappie that feed on them. One member just posted that he was fishing a cove that was thick with shad, and I wondered if they may be starting a spawning run right now?

thanks

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Great question ! I'll be watching this for some info !
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    Is there any info/knowledge regarding seasonal shad patterns? Maybe what they are doing/where they might be at certain water temps? I think there was mention made of a second spawn for shad....when might that happen? I know nothing about any of our species is set in stone, but maybe if I could find shad, I could find the crappie that feed on them. One member just posted that he was fishing a cove that was thick with shad, and I wondered if they may be starting a spawning run right now?

thanks
    There's been shad fry in huge balls for the last month... I'm not sure about a second spawn.

Birddogs54
    2005 Ranger 519 Yamaha 200

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought shad spawned all spring and summer, different sizes grow up and spawn, yep they keep reproducing as long as the water suits there tempt per mint , Ie, it is warm enough they spawn, it cools down they stop, it warms up they start..... love is grand

Post Thanks / Like

I guess there's no such thing as too many shad, as long as they don't get too big.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm seeing 1 1/2-2"ers and 3 1/2-4"ers. Seems to be 2 distinct year classes.

Post Thanks / Like

With the gobs of shad on Truman and the lack of catching of crappie, this winter and next year ought to be bumper years for huge crappie being caught. I know the blue cats are going crazy and are gorged on shad.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

What does everybody think about the relatively slow year on crappie fishing on truman this summer.
    As the shad goes so does the crappie I have learned on here or are the crappie numbers just down a bit?

Post Thanks / Like

unusual rain year, cool water,rising,falling water, front after front,,,,,,,,,,,,sun in 11 year down cycle, all plays a small part adding up to the big picture.

Post Thanks / Like

All I know from long histories is from the lakes I fished in Arkansas before moving up here. I've only targeted Truman for a couple of years. That said, when there was a bad catching year on a lake back home due to the same factors as this year on Truman, the follow couple of years were spectacular unless the weather once again totally scrambles the patterns, then the follow years are that much better. I remember a year or two on Nimrod that any deaf, dumb, and blind doofus could catch a limit just walking by the lake.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast