Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: St. Germain

Post Thanks / Like

Default St. Germain

My wife and I are headin to the St. Germain area to enjoy the northwoods. Was wondering what lake in that area would be the best for some perch/crappie fishing. We've been going to St. Germain for 13yrs snowmobiling and never in the summer, so we are both excited to get there and do some fishing/relaxing. Thanks for for all the help. PS mouth is watering for Blink Bonnie's steak and Saynor pub pizza

Post Thanks / Like

Head down County Trunk J heading back towards Minocqua/Woodruff. About 3/4 of a mile before the fish hatchery is Carrol Lake on your right, launch and state campground entrance together. No daily charge for launching boat. Have had great success there this summer, both with perch and crappies. See earlier posts under Carrol Lake. Suggest you do get there rather early as parking area is small, only 5-6 parking spots. Other launch site is to go past fish hatchery and turn right on Lake Madeline Road. After rearing ponds on right is road to Madeline Launch. That is quieter and will handle a few more rigs. From there you have to go through channel over to Carrol, up on Madeline about 3/4 mile on right. Take it slow going through channel, stay to middle. And, jugs mark some big shallow rock slabs. Used minnows under slip bobbers and also 1/16 ounce jigs with chartreuse jig bodies. All were fished about 3-4 feet down near weed edges. Watch out for very shallow sandbar on north end of Birch Island, northern most island on Carrol. Fishing NW of that hump off edge of weeds you will find some nice perch a little deeper. Good luck and will watch for your report wherever you fish. Oh yes, you can also fish in the tail race pool below the Rainbow Flowage dam. Good platform to fish from. Smaller crappies, but selective keeping will give you some nice fish.
    Fishing is relaxing and fun, but catching is when it really becomes fun!

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Sayner/St. Germain. Water temp yesterday on Big Saint was 68 - 69 degrees and bite was slow. Was mid 70's last week before the cold fronts started rolling through. Big Saint fish the west side of the island at about the 10 - 12 foot level right where the drop off starts. If you can get through the channel to Lake Content fish the east side shortly after coming out of the channel but before the point for crappies. Found Lake is good for crappies but don't expect any monsters and you'll have to sort. Little Saint mostly small fish but a lot of them. If your the same Todd I think you are try the trail 7N to Land O' Lakes next winter.