Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fungus at Sever Lake in Knox County

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fungus at Sever Lake in Knox County

I've been meaning to photograph and also to ask, but can you tell me a little about the greenish off white fungus stuff growing at Sever Lake. It appears to be softball size/shape and larger and grows on some submerged trees. Its not on all trees, and cant say that fish avoid or congregate near them. Oddly, I also can't say I've seen it in other lakes and don't recall it in farm ponds. Any idea what makes it seem to be isolated to that lake. It only appears to grow within a foot or so of the surface. I've never seen it deeper really, and sometimes that lake gets clear. Now I'm thinking there might be a little at Fox Valley Lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I read an article on that stuff couple years back, suppose to be a good thing, means the water is not dirty, polluted as it were, table rock is full of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are seeing colonies of freshwater bryozoans. Very common in several area lakes. No reason to be concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

Never been concerned, just curious. Lots of empty room upstairs and looking for things to put there.

Post Thanks / Like

I seen that at twain a few summers back, too. most of the stick ups had big "snot balls" on em, just under the surface. I always wondered why I had never seen that at twain before or since then.