Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Just got this, thought you might like to know....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just got this, thought you might like to know....

IMPORTANT WARNING Please Be Extremely Careful especially if using internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on. This information arrived this morning from Microsoft and Norton. Please send it to everybody you know who accesses the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point presentation "Life is beautiful. pps".

If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately. if you open this file, a message will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful", subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you gain access to your name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.

WE NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the antivirus Software's are not capable of destroying it. The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner". PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY

Post Thanks / Like

This is a hoax according the Norton's website

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...iful.hoax.html

Symantec Security Response encourages you to ignore any messages regarding this hoax. It is harmless and is intended only to cause unwarranted concern.

Type: Hoax

This hoax was first circulated in Portuguese. English, French, Italian and German versions have also been recorded.

English
    URGENT! VIRUS!

This information arrived this morning, from Microsoft and Norton. Please send it to everybody you know who accesses the Internet.
    You may receive an apparently harmless email with a PowerPoint presentation called "Life is beautiful.pps."
    If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately.
    If you open this file, a message will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful", subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you will gain access to your name, email and password.
    This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon. WE NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS.
    UOL has already confirmed its dangerousness, and the antivirus Softs are not capable of destroying it. The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner", and who aims to destroying domestic PCs and who also fights Microsoft in court!
    That’s why it comes disguised with extension pps. He fights in court for the Windows-XP patent.

MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ranger - I'll pass your info back to where my email came from..........don't these people have anything better to do?

Post Thanks / Like

Three letters, AVG

Post Thanks / Like

When ever get a questionable email like this go to your favorite search engine and type in the title such as "Life is beautiful". You'll find a web notice from Symantec as to whether it is real or a hoax.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to rely on my firewall and anti-virus program(s) to keep the garbage out. I get Symantec clips all the time and never pay close attention to them - usually just run the live update and keep working.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still does not hurt to be wary

Guys this one may be a hoax but you never know when the next virus or trojan horse is going to hit the web. Never open emails from someone that you don't know or that you are not expecting a mail from WITHOUT FIRST Running it though a virus checker. Run a hardware or software firewall.

If you want to turn off the firewall to do productivity work with another program then disconnect the computer from the modem so that there is no way a hacker can get into your computer.

Run adaware software daily to get rid of the spyware that is put on your computer. I find this stuff everday after searching the web for just a few hours. Lots of cookies are put on our comptuers and you can delete them and make your computer safer and faster.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Had a couple of pm's asking what AVG is. AVG is the anti-virus software that i run.www.grisoft.com Most computer gurus i know run it and it absoluetly blows Norton and McAfee away because that stuff isn't all that great anyway. I can't remember the last time i sent an email . If i want to talk to someone, i call them. My web site has a spam filter in the database, so if you don't have a name in the title, boot. Browsers are the most important that i have seen. Probably 95% of people use Explorer because it comes on their computers. Well, spam and popup companies pays Explorer to hound the piss out of you. Then you go buy popup blockers that don't work. I switched over to Netscape 7.2 over a year ago and don't have a single problem. It has a built in popup blocker and is a lot more stable than Explorer. Everyone i have recommended this to loves it. www.netscape.com I use Windows 2000 Professional as my OS (Operating System) and never had one problem out of it. Tried 98, sux, tried Me, really sux, XP is a snitch progam, 98SE isn't bad. I don't go to any sites that use spyware. Most reputable sites won't use it. Lots of spyware out there though. Most "FREE" stuff is spyware like weatherbug, www.weatherbug.com. It is constantly scanning your hard drives and uploading to a server. It is sort of taking a survey of what sites you visit and what kind of stuff you like so spam companies can email you stuff without your knowledge. I don't run a firewall anymore because if you use a little common sense and stay out of places you don't need to be in the first place, not referring to anyone, you won't need it.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Right on

Fatboy is right on. That is what I use and is used throughout our school system. Works better than any I have ever used. and it is free to GI Public. I also use Zone Alarm firewall and it is free and hard to beat. Also use Firefox web browser. Not near as susceptable to "infections" as Ms Explorer and Firefox is free. Also use AdWare and Spybot to remove spy ware. Also have Google toolbar installed. It has a pop up blocker that works great. I don't trust Bill Gates, so I do not run automatic updates. I go look at the updates to see their significants before I download or install them. I would like to get my hands on one of those hackers, hook 'em on a shark hook and chain, then fast troll behind my truck.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation all the "geeks" ...

on the old "Tech TV" program, have blasted Microsoft - Windows - Internet Explorer - the Millenium Edition (ME) OS - and various other stuff ... all of which I have, use, and have had no problems with. I'm still running my Dell P3 1Gig 512SDRAM 20GigHD system with ME, IE, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Zone Alarm, and Nortons Systemworks Pro. I have to run IE because my cable access runs on it, exclusively (and I'm only paying $27 a month for broadband - a perk from work). I've never had a virus, never crashed my system, and any problems that I have encountered - have been the result of my own "human error" manipulation.
    I have no fear of going to "any" website, of being hacked, or receiving or sending viruses by e-mail. I keep NO ADDRESSES in my e-mail address book ... they're written down - so highjacker virus programs cannot steal or clone them, if they could even get in. Anyone receiving such a program/virus with my address attached to it - got it from someone else who had my address in THEIR machine and got the virus.
    I'm not saying that my programs are the "best" .... there's "new and improved" ones coming out all the time. These work for me, and have kept me trouble free for several years.
    I've heard of AVG, Firefox, Mozilla, Spybot S&D, and others ... and I have a XP Pro install disc (free from work) ... but, as long as my system keeps working as good as it has, I see no reason to switch. Have I been "lucky" so far .... perhaps ... but, if so, I hope my luck continues. :D ........luck2ya'll too ................cp