Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patoka Lake Map Section My project

Post Thanks / Like

Default Patoka Lake Map Section My project

OK I am going to try to post a picture of one of the maps that I am working on for Patoka Lake. This is a small section of the lake but it does show to good fishing spots. I am told that these two spots look good. I personally have never fished these two spots. In fact I have only been in this section of the lake one time with Larry. We didnt' fish these two spots this day but I think that one of these two is where he wants to take Russ fishing next spring. The upper spot on the map is the one I am thinking about. LOL These areas of Patoka Lake are very hard to get into as for all the flooded timber. It's slow going up here and unless you can stay in the old river channel you may hit a stump or get stuck in the mud if the lake level is down to winter pool.

Here goes I hope that we can discuss this map some. Anyone feel free to jump in and talk about these two spots and what you think of them.

Remember that the Crappie USA Classic will be held on Patoka Lake in Southern IN next year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Moose1am; 12-09-2004 at 02:37 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Both look good, how shallow is the island compaired to the channed on both sides? Old bridge abutments would be good since there should be a nice ledge on one side of it.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Spots

Not sure if I can see the numbers that show the elevations on this copy. But that island should be underwater even at winter pool. I think. I am not for sure without referring to another expanded view of that spot. On the maps that I have in my computer now I can use Paint Shop Pro to show them at 100% full scale. At full scale the numbers are easy to read and I can tell you the elevation of each contour line. Remember that this map is different than most topo maps in that the contour lines are in 5 ft increments. Most topo maps show 10ft elevation changes an some deeper lakes are shown with 20ft or even 50ft contour lines. In contrast Pat Hahs's maps of Kentucky Lake are shown in 1ft contour lines. He uses a computer program to INTERPOLATE the contour lines given some data points that are about 40ft apart. My maps were made using aerial photographs and then the contour lines were drawn using those photographs. This is the same way that most USGS topo maps are made. Not sure how the contour lines were made so fine but I am glad that they did this. Sometimes a small change in depth on a flat can be significant. And if you note that in these maps the ditches are show. A lot of these ditches are still there under the water and being used by the fish as a secondary roadway. The main highway that the fish use is the old river bed. This old Patoka River goes all the way from Kings Bridge to the Damn. There are two other smaller creeks that feed into Patoka Lake. The Lick Fork Creek and the Little Patoka River. This area pictured in the map is of the Upper Reaches of the Main Patoka River between the bridge at HWY145 and the Kings Bridge area. If you have a fishing hot spots map of Patoka Lake you can see pretty well where this spot is located on those maps. But you won't be able to get the details of this lake on those FHS maps. They are more general and even the FHS digital maps of Patoka are not that detailed.

The only things not shown on my maps are the Fish Attractors and they are hard to find on even the FHS maps as first they are mislabled and second they are not accurately shown on the maps not even the digital maps that are sold by Garmin Mapsource. I know because I have used my Garmin eTrax Vista and the FHS map of Patoka Lake and used the map view to locate these fishing attractors. The spot where the fish attractors are shown on the digital map are not where the actually fish attractor is located. They are off a good ways. I did the same thing at Kentucky Lake using the FHS Garmin Mapsource digital map on my etrax and found the same thing. Russ Bailey's camera man JEFF can verify how far off the brush pile was from where it showed on my digital map. If not for a turtle surfacing I would never had located that brush pile in 7ft of water. We were at least 50 to 100 yard off. A good WAAS enabled GPS should show you the spot within 10ft at the best and 100ft at worse. the FHS maps are off by a large amount on the fish attractors that is for sure

Normal summer pool elevation at Patoka lake is around 536ft asl. At winter pool of about 532ft asl the area you asked about should still be under water. The bridge is on the spot marked on the lower left hand size of the map. That bridge is right on the edge of the map scan. The origional map is 19.5" by 13.5" and I had to scan each quadrant of a map page to get it all on my harddrive. Actually each map page is broken up into 1/4 of a page and each quarter section takes up over 100mb of disk space. Therefore I have to store these map images on a hard drive all by themselves. LOL

The section shown is only scanned at 72 to 75 dpi and it's a cutoff of one of the quarter sections. I had to it that way so that I could post it in here. There is a limit on the size of files that can be used in here. I used black and white here but the original maps are scanned in color right now. 16 milllion color depth at this time.

I plan to rescan these maps at a much lower resolution and in b&w so that I can manipulate them easier.

I just wanted to show everyone what I have been doing this summer.

Today I got my computer fixed and found some unwanted device driver files that were messing up this project. I deleted them using some HP software that helped me analyze my computer for errors and to delete those bad and duplicate files.

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    Both look good, how shallow is the island compaired to the channed on both sides? Old bridge abutments would be good since there should be a nice ledge on one side of it.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick Answer to TAE73's question

About 2 ft deep at an elevation of 530 asl on that island or underwater penisula.
    The river channel is about 20ft deep to 15 ft deep in that area and the entire area is full of submerged trees. The trees are very thick as the Corp Of Engineers didn't have time to cut the trees down before the lake filled up. The spring of 1977 was a record one for rainfall and the lake filled up way faster than expected. Therefore at winter pool if you don't say in the channel the bottom will come up an hit your boat if you don't hit a big stump first. This is good kyaking water LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    Regards,

Moose1am

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Moose ...

aside from the two "obvious" places you have marked on this map .... I'd also explore the "road bed" coming down to the bridge - and that "circle" out on the point (left side of map, where river channel goes off the map) ... is that a submerged island or pond ?? In either case I'd investigate that spot, too.

And, just out of curiosity .... in the upper left area - where the "building" marks are located ... one mark seems to be "in" the lake. If this is so, and designates an old building that was flooded over, the "basement" or the "foundation blocks" may still be there. That would be another spot I'd have a look see at !! .............cp

Post Thanks / Like

That river bend in the middle of the map looks very interesting to me. I would have brush piles on the north side, on top of the flat, going doing the slope and at the bottom in several places around that inside bend. It would probably hold crappie year around.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

CP. I see where you are talking about. the point there to the north of the marked or circled spot. That is an island who's top is at 537ft asl. There should be a saddle between the island and the end of that point of land. The area is pretty flat though and does not drop off steeply on the sides of the saddle. Still it might be a good spot to check out. It would be better if it were a point on the NORTH SIDE of the lake instead of on the South side. But still it's a good spot to check. Thanks I would have missed that one without your help. Too many spots so little time to fish them all.

Upper Left hand corner of the map does contain icons that represent old buildings or sheds and there may well be foundations still there just under the water. Those are good spots to find largemouth bass.

I went scuba diving once at Cilurian Springs near Dawson Springs, KY and we found this old rock quarry with an abandond two story mine building that was mostly submerged after the quarry flooded. The number and size of the largemouth bass that were hanging around that building was amazing. I wish I had an underwater movie camera with me at the time to take movies of what I saw that day. Not sure if those big bass are still there or if they left that old building in the quarry or not. This was back in 1973 or so when I dove there. I went with some good friends. We all were scuba divers and had all the gear we needed except for underwater scooters LOL We were all lifeguards, WSI and EMT and Firemen at the time. It was nice to go someone with good visibity and this was a good place to dive at the time. I hear that they made it even nicer these days as someone bough the quarry and made it into a dive location. www.divecerulean.com is the web site that shows this site today. It was a lot different back in 1973 though. But the bass do like to hang around those old buidings for sure. I didn't see any crappie in the quarry but I did see some Huge Bluegills on the nest in about 20 ft of water. Yes they were nesting in 20ft of water as the water clarity was crystal clear. It was even pretty warm at 20ft deep too. We wore wet suits but you can still feel the cold water on your face when you dive below the thermocline or into the colder water. These days the owners pump hot water into the depths to warm it up. LOL Now talk about having it made in the shade.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    aside from the two "obvious" places you have marked on this map .... I'd also explore the "road bed" coming down to the bridge - and that "circle" out on the point (left side of map, where river channel goes off the map) ... is that a submerged island or pond ?? In either case I'd investigate that spot, too.

And, just out of curiosity .... in the upper left area - where the "building" marks are located ... one mark seems to be "in" the lake. If this is so, and designates an old building that was flooded over, the "basement" or the "foundation blocks" may still be there. That would be another spot I'd have a look see at !! .............cp
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry:

Can you see the small ditch that runs North from the Outside bend in that river channel on that spot? North side of the lake and shallow water near deep water with a deep channel that goes from the deepest water in the area all the way to the shallowest water in the area should be good. I would also try to put some brush piles along that ditch too. The north side of the bend should be an UNDERCUT in the old river bank. The outside bend always has the faster current and the banks are normally undercut on the outside bend. That could be a good spot for many fish.

I did notice when fishing with Larry last spring and as we motored by this spot that there were a lot of fish signals on the depth finder as we slowly motored along the old river channel. But it's hard to tell sometimes if they are fish or just a portion of a submeged tree limb that is sticking out horizontally from a submerged tree. Any thing that passes into the sonar beam will reflect sound back to the transducer and appear as a suspended object in the water. And we can't be sure that even it it was fish that it was crappie. There are a lot of other types of fish that are in this lake. If the crappie run upriver to spawn in the warmer waters then so do the bass and other fish maybe.

Your right about putting some brush piles in that area. I bet that there are some already there by now. I am sure that we are not the only two to look at a map of this spot and to act and put some brush piles there. Thanks for the idea as I value your opinions. It's guys like you that fish all the time that really know the crappie well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    That river bend in the middle of the map looks very interesting to me. I would have brush piles on the north side, on top of the flat, going doing the slope and at the bottom in several places around that inside bend. It would probably hold crappie year around.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Larry_Southern Indiana

That bend that I circled in the upper right side of the picture has standing timber on it. The flat that is in the middle also has hundreds of stumps. This water on the flat is about 8' to 10' deep at summer pool. The channel coming out of it heading north is a little creek that runs into the bay on the north side. As you enter that bay there is another small island under the water on the right side. On the west side of that is more timber under the water. That bay has two piles of cover in it already away from the standing timber. I don't have a clue to how it got there either:D

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

I bet that the SHADOW knows! LOL

Well you didn't say anything about how the map looked. I was hoping you would like what you saw.

Computer is still not working like it should. I can't put my finger on it. But I just am rebooting to clear the memory between map scans. I am stumped on why this is happening. Now most of the error messages are coming from Paint Shop Pro 8. I get some page faults and stuff and then I get some error messages that are definately coming from PSP8. I am not going to buy Paint Shop Pro 9 as they want another 55 bucks for that progam and I just bought this old version. They should provide a big discount to guys like me that purchased their product right before they updated to a new version. These computer programs want an arm and a leg and then they don't work right after you buy them and get them home and try them out.

I got my usb problems fixed now. I deleted a lot of the old faulty device drivers in my device mangers files using the HP diagnostic software. I found that my swap file in Windows98 was set to 32 somehow for the min and max size. Not sure how the hell that happened. I had set it to 2048 mb. Somehow it got back to 32. I set it again to 2048 and then later checked it and it was set to 16 this time. Maybe a trojan horse is on my computer or something. Not really sure how it could have been changed without some external intervention. You just never know. I set it back to 2048 and then defragged the hard drive and rebooted several times and then checked it to see if it was still at 2048. It's still there but I will check it from time to time to make sure that it does not change. If that doesn't work then I will just let Windows98SE manage the Swap file. It could be that I am using files that are too big for the program. When I scan at 600dpi in 16million colors and at a size of 8.5" by 11" the memory required is about 100 MB for each scan. Maybe after one scan the PSP8 Program gets too full and can't continue when I do the next scan. I have 768 MB of ram in my system and with a swap file size of 2048MB I should have more than enought memory to handle files of 100 mb in size.

Heck I even went out to Office Depot and got a new POWERED usb hub to connect the scanner to my computer. The HP web site suggested that the Dell Dimention Computers didn't provide enought power to their USB ports to make the HP scanners work sometimes. They recommended a powered USB hub to solve that problem. I even got a new USB cable just in case the old HP scanners cable was faulty. So far they seem to have solved some of the problems. At least I am getting an error message from PSP8 when the scans fail. Before the computer would just hang and stop responding and I would have to hit the computer's RESET button and run scandisk to fix that problem. That got to be a real pain. Now I can just use the close programs dialog box and shut down the offending programs. Usually the the PSP8 twain aquiring thing is hung and the Twunk_16 thing is still in memory and then there HP scanning software is still in memory. I have to manually select and shut down each of these three programs before I can regain control of my computer again. Then I have to reboot the computer but at least I don't have to run scan disk each time when I do these manual program shutdowns.

If you want to do some scanning stuff don't use a Dell Dimension XPS 550 with the HP ScanJet 3300C scanner using windows98se and Paint Shop Pro8. It's not worth the time or effort from what I can see. If I were not so close to being done with this I would have quit many hours ago. But I am stuborn and will work this out eventually.

I may try to install the Adobe Photo Shop Elements Program and take Paint Shop Pro 8 off my computer and see if the APSE program works better. Besides the Adope program has the abilty to stitch two photos together of the same scene so as to make a panorama of a scene. That is something that will allow me to put the map scans back together to make a big map .. maybe.

I need to look at the weather reports today to see what is predicted.

I know that I am getting very bored staying at home all day long and not being able to get out on the local lakes this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry-Southern Indiana
    That bend that I circled in the upper right side of the picture has standing timber on it. The flat that is in the middle also has hundreds of stumps. This water on the flat is about 8' to 10' deep at summer pool. The channel coming out of it heading north is a little creek that runs into the bay on the north side. As you enter that bay there is another small island under the water on the right side. On the west side of that is more timber under the water. That bay has two piles of cover in it already away from the standing timber. I don't have a clue to how it got there either:D

Larry
    Last edited by Moose1am; 12-11-2004 at 11:36 AM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast