Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ligt braid

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ligt braid

Anyone use straight light braid. I use 8# Power Pro that is 1# mono diameter. I love it. My favorite bait is a 1/16 jighead withe a 2" fluke in the tree branchs (underwater and on land LOL). The braid allows me to straighten the hook if hung up and rebend it back in place. Saves on lures and retying time. It also behaves great on a sinning real and cast well.

Thanks....Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I believe PP also makes a 5# test line as well. Might be great on my UL.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a mono or fluorocarbon leader of the same diameter with thin braid. Braid has a tendency to float and
    dampen a light jig's action whereas plastic line sinks more on the long cast. I wouldn't have anything else loaded on
    my spinning or baitcast reels other than braid and Power Pro, Stealth and Spider Wire are at the top off my list.

Frank

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got the 8# Power Pro on several reels also.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan of Power Pro, and I've tried all of theirs wares from the 15lb(crank bait trolling rods) on down. I still have several back up reels strung with it yet, but I won't be refilling any of them with Power Pro again. I've lost WAY too many fish, and have had WAY too many problems by using it compared to other braids. Their 5lb size is slightly easier to fish with since it's not nearly as coarse as their 6lb or 8lb tests are (mostly what I've used). But it breaks far easier than I'd like it to, and most usually when I would be setting the hook! GRRRRR!!! Power Pro's coarseness make it more prone to tangles for me. The constant tip knots I get from using it, bumps me right on over into Crazyville, especially if I'm in a tournament. I find that I end up cutting it much more frequently than other braids due to the complexity of tangles I get using it. The best braids in my opinion, and the only braided lines I use now, would be Fireline in the 6lb Flame Green, or else the 10lb Spiderwire Invisabraid. These are a little more expensive than Power Pro, but are by far superior! I buy them in the 1200 - 1500 yard spools to give you an idea of how much I believe in them. You get what you pay for in a line, just as with a lot of things in life. But by any means, use what works for you. Just make sure to have some fun out there, while you are enjoying what God has provided us! <,"}//>{ Tim
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review TTLRM. I also use and love Fireline in the lightest test ratings. If you think PP is bad, don't even think about going to Nanofil! Talk about crap stuff!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

i got 5lb power pro on the setup i cast jigs with....... i like it pretty well..........think im going to try the suffix 832 next though

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought some Shimano Stradic CI4 reels. The 1000FML size. Put 5# PP on them as they supposedly were developed to use this line. The problem I had was the noise. The PP really sings during the retrieve. Picked up every thread in the braid as it came across the bail roller. Switched to Nan o fil and problem disappeared. Use 4# now and love the stuff. No wind knots, no springing of the spool, no memory, twist doesn't bother it and it cast a country mile.

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped using PP few years back went to Sufix 832 really like it no problems only thing I can not find any less than 10#, but at least that's only bout 4# dia and casts good. Well one problem when I tried it on my slip bobber poles the little tie knot for the bead stop kept slipping on the line had to keep tightning it with pliers, very frustrating.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER