Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Side pulling motor bracket

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Side pulling motor bracket

Several months back someone posted a picture of a broken trolling motor bracket that tilted and swiveled. Several people said they would like to have one. Just got new Grizzly Jig cataloge and Lo and Behold there it is.Name:  phone pictures 138.jpg
Views: 2432
Size:  24.3 KB
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

These brackets are a lot stonger than the old style and work great, I use one myself and I see a lot of them on boats at Pickwick, of course I'm partial to them as I side pull all the time.
    Biguns Pro Guide Service 662-424-2551, B'n'M Pro Staff, Engel Coolers Pro Staff, Ego Nets Pro Staff, Cumberland Crappie Pro Staff, Wise Boat Seats Pro Staff, Southern Pro Pro Staff, Pap's Hair Jigs Pro Staff, The Edge Multifunction Trolling Motor Bracket Pro Staff, Enjoy What God has given us and remember take a kid Fishing !

Post Thanks / Like

Got to get me one of those my self.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

what is side pulling?
    CRAPPIE fishing is not a sport, its a way of life!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifish4redd View Post
    what is side pulling?
    Trolling .... with the trolling motor(s) on the side of the boat, pulling the boat sideways rather than forwards.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifish4redd View Post
    what is side pulling?
    As Crappiepappy said, it's sideways trolling. It seems to be the dominant style of crappie fishing on Pickwick Lake in the NE MS & TN portions of the lake. I don't get into AL much, so I can't speak for those sections.

Basically you mount your trolling motor on the side of the boat at the mid or "balance point" (the motor weight is a factor). Most people drift with the wind, using the trolling motor to steer, and maintain desired speed, while keeping the boat in a sideways orientation. This allows the front and back fishermen to have their lines over the same side of the boat and cover more area, as rods are deployed the full length of the boat.

Who developed the technique? I can't be sure, but the Gant brothers are the champions of it. I can remember long line trolling with my dad in '84 or '85, when he mentioned trying something "new," that's when we began side pulling. I'm pretty sure he got the idea from the Gants though. My dad and I spent a lot of time "sideways" together on that lake before he died. My brother-in-law and I are fishing partners now, but I don't hit the water without thinking of my dad and all of the fun we had out there.

It's a very relaxing style of fishing. Just drifting along watching the rod tips, and enjoying the lake. You can see a small flotilla of side pullers around Goat Island in the spring. You do get the occasional yahoo that wants to go 90 degrees to the wind and cut everyone else off, or the guy who gets to the end of the "run" and wants to power through the middle of everyone else to get back to his starting point. But for the most part, side pullers in this area work together, drifting with the wind, and displaying a lot of courtesy to everyone else when repositioning to start again.
    Likes MSGCANNON LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome info!!! Love pickwick for sure!!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I did this with wind power a lot of years ago. By turning the outboard to one side you'll blow sideways. It wasn't new then and the TM no doubt makes it easier.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

What kinda trolling motor is best for side pulling?? Also do you want a hand type trolling motor or foot control?? The foot control is kinda hard on my minn kota the button hard to push

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hand control. I prefer Minkota. Bas size on size of boat.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979