Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pinchot park

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pinchot park

Reports of 18" crappie being caught around the dam at Pinchot. The lake has been drawn down for the winter, collecting fish in the normal areas. (this information is about two weeks old now).
    There is also rumor of a sewage line leak (again) - maybe another summer away from that "tainted water".

Post Thanks / Like

Big Zig,

I've never fished Pinchot, but I'm very intersted in hearing about the lake.
    Have you fished it? If so, what's the average crappie size? Are there many?
    How deep is the lake? Any motor restrictions?

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

I used to fish this lake for it's tiger musky's - before I became entranced by the crappie. There is always nice crappie being reported out of this lake, but it gets a ton of pressure from the shore pounders (bass fisherman).
    It is a park, so the lake is electric motors only, and is a Big Bass regulated waterway.
    Very weedy, which is one reason for the winter drawdown, and they have boats designed just to rip the weeds up in the summer.
    Can't tell you max depth - it's been too long. The lake has had problems with bacteria from sewage getting in - and it sounds like it happened again. Really don't wanted to fish in that kind of water pollution, so I haven't had the boat wet there for quite a few years. The lake still gets heavy pressure, so it doesn't bother everyone - just doesn't sit right with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie

If any of you get the Harrisburg Patriot newspaper check the big fish contest in the sunday sports section. Theres a 18.5 incher that was taken from Pinchot not too long ago. I know alot of guys that bass fish it and will get a 17inch slab by mistake on a bass lure. There are alot of nice slabs in this lake I myself cant seem to ever find any slabs in here

Salomonski3 Guest

Hey does anyone think fishing pinchot above the dam will be any good on this Monday or will there be too much ice around the edges. If so, will using jigs or fat heads be good. I dont think it will get above freezing for the next couple days.

Post Thanks / Like

Salomonski - how'd you do? I didn't catch the post until Monday morning - figured you were there already. The lake was probably down pretty far - making repairs to another broken line. Pickin's should have been pretty easy with the lower water level ( I think they said it was being drawn down 9 feet)

Salomonski3 Guest

No, I didnt go the cold 15 degree weather chickened me out. They actually filled the lake up i heard. Another crappie fisherman I know said he didnt have any luck catching crappies because of the brown water from refilling the lake.

Salomonski3 Guest

Im looking foward to fish it in March, but I don't have a boat so i guess stuck to the shores.