Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Taylorsville or Cave Run Lake Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Question Taylorsville or Cave Run Lake Crappie

Anyone fish for crappie at Taylorsville or Cave Run lake lately.
    Are they spawing now, how deep are you catching them?
    Thanks,
    Bassky :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassky
    Anyone fish for crappie at Taylorsville or Cave Run lake lately.
    Are they spawing now, how deep are you catching them?
    Thanks,
    RE: Cave Run

I fished the north fork of the river out of Poppin' Rock ramp on Thursday (5/6) and did pretty well. We caught lots of short crappie but I kept 10 nice ones. Most were caught between 6-10 feet on minnows and jigs. The most recent Corps report said crappie were being caught between 5 and 15 feet over submerged cover. Water temps were in mid 60's for the most part and the water was fairly clear. By now I'm sure temps are up a few degrees and the water is even more clear. Water level was right at summer pool and still is this morning. I also caught numerous good sized white bass on minnows while fishing for crappie. This was also sort of surprising since I hadn't seen a lot of whites in the Cave for a long time. All the whites we caught were well over 12 in. and all were released. Catching fish like these on an a 7.5 ft. UL rig is fun to say the least. Talked to a coworker this morning who fished coves off the main lake on Sunday PM and caught a few keepers at 10-12 feet also over submerged cover. Main lake is clear as well. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Cave Crappie

Thanks for the report. How is the ramp at Poppin Rock?
    Never put in there.
    Thanks,
    Bassky

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BassKy

My partner and I fished Taylorsville this past Sat ... water is 1ft over Summer pool and "brown". They're pulling it back down slowly, after it being several feet above Summer Pool ... and the water still has drift floating and lots of sediment in it, that hasn't settled out yet. The heavy traffic over the weekend and the upcoming rains won't help much, either. We caught several female White Crappie that were in the 9-10in size range ... and they still had eggs. They were suspended about 4-6ft deep over submerged wood in about 12-20ft of water. Bass anglers were pounding the banks and catching a few ... but most of the ones we saw caught were "dinks". If it floods again, over the next week, I have little hope that the Crappie spawn will finish out ... and the Bass spawn will be in serious trouble, too. That's the downside to Taylorsville - being a flood control lake. .....cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassky
    Thanks for the report. How is the ramp at Poppin Rock?
    Never put in there.
    Thanks,
    Bassky

Ramp at Poppin' Rock is very good and last summer they installed a new dock for loading/unloading. This ramp is located right on Rt. 519 and easy to get in and out of. If you fish the river please be careful since there are lots of stumps and stickups. The river channel is not marked and it's narrow in places. I fish this area weekly (sometimes weakly too) and get a surprise from time-to-time regarding stumps. Many are just under the water and not visible until you're on them. Of course this has an up side and that being no water skiers, pleasure boaters or sea-dooers! It's primarily a fisherman's ramp. Also don't forget all ramps at Cave Run require a ramp parking pass. $3.00 per day and available everywhere. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cave Crappie

Guys,
    Thanks so much for all of the info.
    I thought the crappie would be shallower.
    I've been catching them in 3-4' of water, with water temps going in the low 70's at AJ Jolly Lake, No Ky area.
    Thanks and God Bless,

SKING Guest

Has anyone been to Cave Run any this year , just wanted to know if anyone has been catching any crappie,and if so on what and where