Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First crappie - ever!

Post Thanks / Like

Default First crappie - ever!

Having a day off on a weekday means I have a lake pretty much to myself. As a kayak fisherman it means no wakes or dealing with in-shore trollers. I'd gone to one lake in central Maine known for crappie last week, my first time fishing for them. While I may not have taken any crappie, some nice smallmouths were caught and released.

Today, another lake in central Maine with more history behind it. Trolling a silver Rapala floater, I caught four beautifully colored males 9-10". Moving to nother area, I played with 1/8 oz jigs and caught two more, one a 12" female, as well as bass, pumpkinseed/bluegills, and a couple of pickerel. I fileted the crappie and my wife cooked the for supper - excellent table fare.

Lot's to learn nd having fun doing it!
    Dave - Maine

Luvfatslabs is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your first of many crappie to come
    Good luck and good fishing

Post Thanks / Like

You're hooked now, aren't you?!

Congrats!

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of fun to catch & good to eat. How can it get any better.

Post Thanks / Like

Minor I crappie from a kayak all the time and do pretty well. It's a fun and productive way to fish. keep it up you'll figure all kind of way to fish. I jig, troll cranks, spider rig, long line and combinations of them all.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. Congratulations on your first crappie.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the crappie.

I've always envisioned my 1st experience of using a kayak as the rescue squad retrieving my body from the upside down kayak. Looks like the means to fish for a guy much smaller than me.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a kayak fisherman for many years and have had far more success than from a boat. I still troll, but have a tendency, with no motor, to get in closer to the shoreline. Since we're limited to two lines, I keep one rod loaded up with an underwater rig such as a jig or small spoon, while my main lure is a Rapala F5 in silver.

The two yaks I've used, the Old Town Dirigo 106 for many years and now the WS Commander 120 for the last two, are extremely stable. That being said, last summer I paddled to the middle of a local pond with nothing in the Dirigo, stood up (it's a sit inside), and started rocking it. It took a while to find the tipping point which surprised me. I had just told my wife that it wouldn't go over when I was literally thrown out of the cockpit - the look on my face is a story which she enjoys retelling, much embellished I assure you!

With 40 feet of line out when the crappies hit the Rapala I find they put up a good fight if they head down. If they stay close to the surface though, they reel in on their side like a mini surf board. I'll keep after them as they are lots of fun and the taste is much milder than the bass and white perch I usually bring home.
    Dave - Maine

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your first. Now your hooked.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, I have not got a Crappie in a year!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast