Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: braid on a spincast closed face reel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default braid on a spincast closed face reel?

A freind of mine has a spincast closed face reel and wants to try braided line on it. I have no experince with closed face reels so I dont know if it will work. Should he try it or go with straght floro line. If any one knows it would be a big help hes new to fishing and cant use a spining reel very well

Post Thanks / Like

Don,t see why it wouldn't work but it would be better for your friend to get in the yard and practice with open face reel, they are not that hard to learn. Just try to make short cast with it first,it is more simple than he think
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Likes Dollfly LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Vermonster View Post
    ...hes new to fishing
    ... then he should stick to mono, IMO. Mono is cheap, easy to handle, and still catches a lot of crappie.
    Likes DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like pistol grip handle and spincast reels on all my urtralight rods and love the way braid cast in them.Will not go to back to mono,but have tried alot of different braids that will hold up to the pickup pins in the spincast.The only one that I have found to up is power pro,the other ones the pick up pins did damage to the line.Don't know about other spincast reel but the zo2 handles braid great after you learn how to spool it.You can use a backing to save on braid but make sure the braid is sorta level with the spool when fully spooled,that is one of the tricks when learning about braid for spincast.
    Another trick will be to learn how to avoid and deal with what they wind knots when I started useing braid I called them something else.I hardly ever get those anymore and make 100's a cast each fishing trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some PowerPro 30# on an old Zebco Omega 33 and it works great! Have to agree with turtlebait about the wind knots and what to call them. But I also finally learned to deal them. But I love my open face spinning reels with 10# hi vis PowerPro. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Its hard for him to use a spinning reel cause he has no feeling in his fingers from some weilding burns. but im thinking he should go with 4lb fire line crystal

Post Thanks / Like

10/2 powerpro green will handle most any fish you'll incounter from bream to catfish plus save on tackle as in less break offs.Never over power a spincast with bigger line size you'll suffer in casting distance and spool hangups.A good rod and the drag set on a reel with light test line can land a whale if need be no need for monster test line.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this thread is being resurrected from the dead but wondering if anyone has some recent info on using braid with a spincast reel. I have several of the Zebco Omega ZO2 and ZO3's. I've done the google searches there just isn't much on the subject online. I have decided to make a concerted effort to learning to cast a spinning reel with more accuracy just set up a 7 and 9 ft BnM Sam Heaton Super Sensitive with Daiwia BG 2500 reels with Fireline Crystal. This is my first experience with any line other than mono.

I want to spool one of the ZO3's with either fireline crystal I have half a spool(about 60 yards) each of 4 or 6 lbs. I also have about 75 yds of suffix 832 10 lb. Backing will be 6 lb mono. Some spots I fish it's better to have a shorter rod for more precise cast. Will probably using it on a 5 or 6 ft rod.

Any tips, advice or experience with the above lines would be appreciated.
    Likes Crappie ciller LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 Zebco Bullets loaded up with Braid...13lb for Crappie, 22lb for Walleye, and 30lb for Bass.
    Switched last year to Daiwa MoreThan12 braid...as a braid fisherman, it is the best on the market, but you can only get it overseas $$$.
    I use spincasts when my hands start hurting...too many broken bones from football and now Arthritis.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a low end reel the braid may cut into the pin as braid did to earlier rod eyelets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast