Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cane Pole

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cane Pole

Were you in Norfolk out from pier 12 in 1962? If so, we probably passed each other a couple of times. I was at NAS but our Squadron was attached to the Intrepid( the USS NEVER COME BACK)..lol.....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    Were you in Norfolk out from pier 12 in 1962? If so, we probably passed each other a couple of times. I was at NAS but our Squadron was attached to the Intrepid( the USS NEVER COME BACK)..lol.....
    I was at NAS Cecil Field FLA. Got caught up in the Blockade. I was sent TDY to Gitmo. Fire Control Tech. We (techs) were few and far between then and in big demand. Now, nobody wants me. lol

Honey and I have been cleaning up lately. Ran across a bunch of old stuff. I think I will scan it and post it. Should bring back some old memories to lots of the guys that post here. Still have my cruise books. They are a treasure.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I was at NAS Cecil Field FLA. Got caught up in the Blockade. I was sent TDY to Gitmo. Fire Control Tech. We (techs) were few and far between then and in big demand. Now, nobody wants me. lol

Honey and I have been cleaning up lately. Ran across a bunch of old stuff. I think I will scan it and post it. Should bring back some old memories to lots of the guys that post here. Still have my cruise books. They are a treasure.
    I can't wait to see the scans.

The Enterprise was in Norfolk in 62 or 63 for on a show and tell tour of some sort. Anyway it couldn't dock at any of the piers so they left it out from Pier 12. That was a BIG ship. We had to look up at it from the flight deck of the Intrepid. We were told the quarters were air conditioned. We couldn't believe it....lol....

Post Thanks / Like

The Enterprise was in Norfolk in 62 or 63 for on a show and tell tour of some sort. Anyway it couldn't dock at any of the piers so they left it out from Pier 12. That was a BIG ship. We had to look up at it from the flight deck of the Intrepid. We were told the quarters were air conditioned. We couldn't believe it....lol....
    Big fast ship. Lot of people can not picture how big it is. Millions of pounds, and could cruise at 40 knots. Truth be known, it could probably hit 60 knots, but they want tell. That thing could out run any bass boat in its day, and lots of them today. I did not get aboard until late 62, after she came to the Blockade. Nice air, nice rooms. I loved being ar sea.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Canepole, its a small world. I was with VFP-62 at Cecil 1960-64.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Hey Canepole, its a small world. I was with VFP-62 at Cecil 1960-64.
    F8's right.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

F8's right.
    RF8's
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Intrepid

Hey Don, What kind of aircraft flew off the Intrepid, and was HS-3 the Angel squadron? Our Angel squadron was HC-2. We flew Phantom fighter squadrons, Skyhawk light attack, Intruder heavy attack, Vigilante recons, and Skywarrior refuelers, and some twin turboprop AWACS planes off Forrestal.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    Hey Don, What kind of aircraft flew off the Intrepid, and was HS-3 the Angel squadron? Our Angel squadron was HC-2. We flew Phantom fighter squadrons, Skyhawk light attack, Intruder heavy attack, Vigilante recons, and Skywarrior refuelers, and some twin turboprop AWACS planes off Forrestal.
    The Intrepid was converted for Helicopter use. We did have a couple of ADs and a mail plane...lol......every 2 weeks. HS-3 was a Sub chaser,Astronaut retrieving and anything else the old recip engines couldn't reach. We took over retrieving astronauts from the Marines at Cherry Point in late 61 or early 62. We were the first squadron on the east coast with Sikorsky Twin Turbos. We also were called in to locate the USS Thresher. I'm sure you are familiar with the Thresher.

We were on the Cuban blockade 183 days seeing only ships and water.

The Forrestal was our attack carrier and as I remember had F4H Phantoms.
    They also lost 11 men in one arresting gear accident.

The Alexander Hamilton was our attack sub (Nuclear powered) and as Cane Pole said this ship would fly.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hard time remembering dates, sometimes just remembering. But late September, 62, we left Cecil Field, air lifted to the Independence, then air lifted to the Enterprise. Lots of shuffeling of men and material. Mostly done by the S2F's (AIRMAIL). I was TDY Gitmo most of the time I was there. Intense to say the least.