Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kapowsin ramp update

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kapowsin ramp update

Went out to kapowsin yesterday to try the new launch. The ramp itself is nice but a little narrow for bigger boats. But bigger boats probably don't do this lake. I had to ask a family to move their 4 lawn chairs off the ramp so I could launch! They were sitting there bobber fishing. As I was parking my rig --two rigs showed upn to launch their 4 jet skis, you just can't get away from them! They haven't got the float/dock put in yet.so you got to beach her on either side of the ramp. be careful lots of rocks.I was upset they don't have more parking( 11 paved spots), which can be rough on weekends. Oh I got 6 crappie ave. size 10", and 16 rock bass. I had a fish fry with the rock bass, they were quite good, maybe not as good as perch and crappie, but tasty. later
    Last edited by Spudrocket; 08-25-2006 at 11:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

nice report spud. i'm gonna have to go down there again and see if i can find some crappie (and not bust a prop). what depth did you find the crappie at. i couldn't find any last time.
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey ck, the crappie were in 12 feet suspended down 7 feet about 150 yards east of Erickson's, hope this helps. I think Silver would be better this time of year. Kapowsin I prefer late October. Ck a crappie killer like you should consider a trip to Riffe this is really a slab lake, many close to 2 lbs! Some people think its hard to fish for slabs, I think they haven't spent time to learn the lake. In the spring and fall I find them in coves and bays where creeks enter. This place is crawling with brush and sunken logs. I caught a 16" slab trolling for coho in 90 feet of water! This beautiful res has fantasic smallmouth, fair largemouth, great coho(not kokanee like some call them) good cutts and rainbow, occasional chinook, and I hear fair cats, and good perch if you can find a school, 100 perch a day. The only bad things are floating logs, ect and the famous afternoon winds.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Spud. I'll be down there next weekend sometime to check it out and lay into some catfish and crappie:D . You're right....early Fall is a great time to fish Kapowsin.....Ohop as well.

We did some night fishing on Lake Union over the weekend. The bass are starting to school up already. Most years they don't start schooling until late Sept. Maybe they know something we don't. They were holding tight to docks in 15 feet of water chasing schools of sticklebacks. Skipping 5" lizards under the docks drew a strike about every third cast or so. From 8pm to 10:30pm we caught about 14 smallmouth and 9 largemouths from 1 to 4.5 lbs. Tried for crappie in a few good holes but only caught little ones about 5" long and a few nice perch, bluegills, and a one HUGE squawfish that almost broke my ultralight rod. You should have heard me yell'n and cuss'n when I found out it was a squawfish....thought I had a new staterecord crappie on the line at first when I seen the silver sides of the fish flashing under our fishing lights:D.
    Last edited by SlabKing; 08-28-2006 at 10:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm thats just down the road from me so i guess I'll have to check it out!! THough I dont think I'll be launching my boat there anytime soon ..... I'll just stick with the pontoon for there!
    To fish or not to fish ...... how can that even be a queston:D