Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: spawning areas

Post Thanks / Like

Default spawning areas

I know most times the crappie here spawn near the bank, but would anyone know about where they spawn is Mississippi? The water down there is always muddy and I've been told they will spawn in the middle of the lake as most of them are shallow. No light gets though that water as you can only see a jig maybe 6" down and there really isnt any gravel to speak of. I'd ask this on the MS site, but they don't have an ask the biologist thread. Is it all about water temp that makes the eggs hatch?

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie aren't that particular about spawning locations. They will use mud banks just a readily as gravelled banks in our lakes. A stump or laydown tree works too. I do best on steep mud banks in one of my lakes that has gravel areas too. Black crappie will spawn on the edges of flooded vegetation as well. Generally the muddier the water, the shallower they'll spawn. I've found them in less than a foot of water in turbid lakes. Water temperature does influence the time to hatch for the eggs. The warmer the water, the less time to hatch. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

MOfishmgr that is some good info for us all. Thanks dfar