Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: No bites, no nibbles, no surrender!

Post Thanks / Like

Default No bites, no nibbles, no surrender!

Got a little lost trying to find Stagecoach, should have looked at directions before I left. Got out there at noon, right off the bat there are A LOT of brushpiles out there (more than what i am used to seeing). If what i've been told is true that crappie love brushpiles and small reservoirs, Stagecoach is excellent for crappie. Might as well get this out of the way, i didn't catch anything. I fished the southside by the boat ramp for about an hour, then I moved to the west where the campers park and the water is more shallow. Fished it for 2 hours, because there was topwater hits near the brushpiles over there, but they didn't want what i was offering (minnows, plastics, jigs, rooster tail). It looked like crappie, but it could've been something else. They seemed to be eating insects on the water. Kind of looked like mayflies, only black thicker bodies. After that i moved to the northwest cove when some of the deepest pockets are, threw some cutbait out there for catfish and still tried slowly retrieving a rooster tail or letting a minnow sit out there.

6pm i shot over to Wagon Train and camped out on the south bank with more cutbait and casted into the wind to see if I could land a catfish. 8pm i called it quits because DiGornio pizza was calling me back in Bellevue. It was still a great day to be outside and relax. Tomorrow I'll go trout fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Where there many other fishermen out at SC on Friday... Interesting on the top water hits... Bluegill?... There are also Wipers in that lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not bluegill, 52 degrees seems too cold for them. Wipers were another thought of mine. But i wasn't sure since Wagon Train has wipers. Didn't want to assume that just because WT had them, SC had them as well. There was a good group of people out there early when i showed up, but i heard a lot of grumbling and folks wanting to test out Wagon Train.

Of course when i got to Wagon Train i heard even more grumbling. haha. Someone did catch a good size channel near the dam at WT this morning.

I just got back from watching them stock trout in Halleck Pond. Pretty decent amount of folks out there. There seemed to be some isolated spots where folks were catching trout, but after 30min to an hour after they stocked them, the bite stopped. My guess out of the 15 - 20 people who showed up to face the cold temp and wind, looked like only a handful of trout were caught. When i left there was only 1 grandfather and his two grandsons fishing from the island not too far from where they unloaded them and those guys looked like they were getting ready to pack it in and go home.

Maybe tomorrow with some sun and the temperature isn't around 30 degrees, I'll give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

There are good crappie in both them lakes, never had any luck on the south side or by the island. They put them trees in last winter over there. Heard of a few fish being caught over there last year but not many. Going to go out there or wagon train maybe Tuesday and cast for walleye early then hit some deep water for crappies after the sun comes up. If I make it out will keep ya posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably won't make another trip out to Stagecoach until April.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I didn't make it out so I have no report. Ended up with bone spurs acting up so walking on the rocks would not have worked out. As soon as I start getting out will let ya all know. Waiting for jigs and plastics to show up here anytime so that will get the blood pumping even harder to get out.