Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asian carp tournament on KY lake

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Asian carp tournament on KY lake

Want an idea of how bad the invasion of Asian carp has become on KY Lake? KY Fish and Wildife dept sponsored a 2 day tournament on KY Lake for commercial fishermen. I assume all the contestants used gill nets of some sort. The winning team weighed in OVER 28,000 pounds in the 2 days with OVER 80,000 pounds of total catch. The winning team won $10,000 cash.

Lots of folks have no idea how bad the carp population is going to be for sportfishing. There has been a plant built near the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers near Wickliffe, KY to process the carp into pet food.

Lots of folks have tried the carp for eating and say they are very good tasting. So far I'm taking their word for it but will try them some time.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

my hats off to the fisherman that were in the tournament and also to the winners

I think the folks at KFW are doing the right thing letting commerical boyz get after them

oh and grats to the winners ............. do it again next month

Post Thanks / Like

plant being built in Grafton IL for processing the fish that's how bad they are up in this area. People are putting ads on craigslist for them to eat

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!!
    That takes a lot of hard work to catch 28,000 lbs in two days... Great job by all the fisherman...
    Heck I say start having these tournaments all up and down the rivers infested with these things... Keep doing it until they don't bring any in.

Awesome job by the KY fish and Game.. Hats off to those in charge as I think its a great idea.
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I fished 2 days last weekend in Big Bear...

My SI showed those beasts covering my screen 95% of everywhere I went...

And I don't mean just a few showed on the SI....they nearly blanketed the SI screen...

They are actually big enough on the SI to see the split tail in the shadow...

I'll dig out a snapshot I took...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 03-14-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

KY F&W was hoping for 200,000 pounds to be caught but with the cold weather, several teams dropped out of the competition.

rnvinc, a friend of mine was telling me the exact same thing about his screen being top to bottom with them in the mouth of Big Bear.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    KY F&W was hoping for 200,000 pounds to be caught but with the cold weather, several teams dropped out of the competition.

rnvinc, a friend of mine was telling me the exact same thing about his screen being top to bottom with them in the mouth of Big Bear.
    They're not just in the mouth...they're all the way back nearly to the BentonBirmingham roadbed...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

If the suckers would swim at the surface in the summer like they do below the dam on the Cumberland, I would gladly put some fiberglass through several thousand pounds of them every year myself. That's big fun shooting 70+ lb fish and hanging on for a Kentucky sleigh ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet they'd be a real blast to catch on rod and reel if we could just figure them out. I know they're filter feeders, but I've heard anglers in some areas where they are native have almost fished them out so there must be some way to get them to bite.

Edit: Apparently they like drop shotted chartreuse jigs. Who knew?

How to catch silver carp hook and line? | roughfish.com

But you could always catch them like this:

Last edited by Shoemoo; 03-15-2013 at 03:37 AM.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

We shoot them with bowfishing gear. But for every 1 we kill, we miss 50 to 100. Its just for fun, but man those things get out of control. Glad they are trying to control them, fished KY lake 8 years ago and stayed at Big Bear, was a great place and caught some really nice fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast