Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: stiff steering?

Post Thanks / Like

Default stiff steering?

50 hp Yamaha stick steering is really stiff,only 3 yrs old. What caused this and what is a possible cure? Thanks for any help!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably need to get your cable power lubed.....most any boat dealer can do this.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the same problem,thanks for the info.Never heard of power lubing a cable. Is it expensive?

Post Thanks / Like

Default stiff steering?

If you've bumped a stump or something the tab above the prop may have been lost or misaligned. I've seen this on boats before with cable steer. It will turn easy in one direction but very stiff in the other.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

in my experence i'm betting wind up installing new cable i'd suggest you stay away from the new 0 feed back cabels if you have power trim motor trimed up cant turn right of course i'm talking high power 225 hp merc not sure if be a factor on lower power

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had cables freeze up due to rust dirt grime etc, took cable off and sprayed a generous amount of WD-40 in it and elevated the end I sprayed into. It made a very noticeable difference. But as G said, boat shop probably has a better, more detailed way of fixing this. I'm just cheap....

Post Thanks / Like

Most newer outboards come with self lubricating cables. I would bet you have a kink in the cable. Check to see if your cables are hitting the hull when you trim up!

Post Thanks / Like

my boat has a rack and pinion steering and it was stiff so I got to looking at it and found a spring tensioner at the base of the steering wheel shaft, a couple of turns and now it's feels much better.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer