Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat pedestal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat pedestal

I have a Lund boat 15 yrs. old and the seats are the adjustable type with the lever under the seat to adjust the height. The make is Springfield. They do not stay (height) where you adjust them to. Two questions. Do they make a kit to replace the seals or O rings? The other question is can I drill the inside post & use a hitch pin to maintain the height? New posts are fairly pricy.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any reason why you couldn't pin them. I would use as big a bolt as I could get to keep the aluminum from flaring with the weight, making them difficult to move in the future. Maybe 1/2" or so would do it fine.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

DO NOT DRILL... Those pedestals are just like office chairs, if they are under pressure when you drill they will blow up in your face.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I HAVE DRILLED MANY OFFICE CHAIRS WITH NO PROBLEM , THE COMPRESSED AIR WILL RELEASE AS SOON AS THE DRILL BIT ENTERS THE CYLINDER . AN OIL MAY BE PRESENT .

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First I would call or email Springfield to find out if they have a kit. If they do and you can rebuild I don't know how you would recharge though. They are probably charged with nitrogen. After all that I'd drill and pin.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago I ordered the adjustable Springfield pedestal and some bases from Springfields "scratch and dent" area of their website. Pedestals look and perform like any other and were a fraction of the cost of a "new" pedestal. May be worth looking into if you haven't already. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Had that trouble before.Check where the lever goes up into the seat, the valve may be stuck, that was my problem.