Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home made markers

Post Thanks / Like

Default home made markers

Have any of you made home made markers for throwing out and marking cover? If so can you post pictures and tell how you did it. I am thinking of ordering some but if I can make some cheap from supplies around the house then no need in buying any.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I use to make markers out of wood and paint them, but now I only buy them because my auto winder was made to fit them
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeker .... buy a "pool noodle" at your local dollar store (or wherever) and a spool of nylon cord. Cut down the pool noodle into 6" sections and tie/wrap 30-50ft of twine around the middle. Then take two 1oz lead weights & bury them into the noodle (& glue them in) on the same side & in line with each other. Then put a 3-5oz lead sinker on the tag end of your nylon cord.

The two 1oz weights (in line with each other) will act as brakes, when the big weight hits bottom, and keep the noodle from rolling over (& unwinding).

No pool noodles available, or the price has been jacked up (due to warmer weather being right around the corner) .... find some blocks of styrofoam or closed cell polystyrene foam (maybe do some dumpster diving around building sites ??) and cut them into fat bowtie shapes ... approx 5" long x 4" wide x 1.75" thick ... You'll want to taper the 4" (wide) middle section down to 2.5" wide - and taper the 5" length side down to about a 1" thickness in the middle section. This should give you a bowtie shape ... then tie your nylon cord around the middle & put a 2-3oz weight on the end of the cord. You may need to put some counterweights into the corners of one side of the foam, if you find that the marker is easily rolled by wave action.

That's all I know about DIY markers.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Academy has the H style for $6 each, with line and weight. By the time you count materials, you'd be better-off just buying a couple.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got several of the pool noodle type. About 10" of noodle with some lag bolts I had lying around to screw into the noodle for a counterweight. Wrap string around center and you are good to go. They are nice and quiet when they hit the water and when they unroll. If the wind gets up over 10 mph on the lake I fish the most, the noodles will unwind a bit (alot more so than H style marker buoys).

If it's windy I just use the plastic (store bought) bouys that are h shaped. I can get two for $9 at a local store (with lines and weights) so they aren't real expensive. Good luck out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I made one and will try it out. Thx for the noodle suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: home made markers

Can you please post a picture?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic of some I made from a post somebody else made on the site. Use a cordless screwdriver to retrieve them. Note the 1/4" hex bits. Couple of landscape spikes shoved into the foam gives em counter balance. Each has a 3 oz. bronze weight on the drop line.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMoon View Post
    Academy has the H style for $6 each, with line and weight. By the time you count materials, you'd be better-off just buying a couple.
    cheaper than that at WalMart
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    cheaper than that at WalMart
    New ones are cheap enough...
    Save A Minnow, Use A Jig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast