Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tracking Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tracking Crappie

I took a closer look at the link Tim posted and Moose mentioned on the GPS thread. The maps showed a 3-month migration from pre-spawn to post-spawn of both black and white crappie. Very interesting!

On March 1, both were scattered in the basin of the cove. It appeared that the blacks moved in shallower sooner and stayed longer than the whites. The whites never did move in as deep as the black, probably spawned in relatively deeper water then moved out on the main channel ledges.

If you look closely too, all the crappie are around unique structure (points or ledges) in every map. Makes me want to get to know the waters I fish in more detail to surgically go right to where they are. Plus, if fishing unfamiliar waters, one should be able to use a map and zero in faster.

I wonder if that is a regular annual pattern? Plus, that would explain why the fast trollers using crankbaits do so well catching monster white crappie during the summer months.

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/crappieresultsspring04.asp

Thanks Tim and Moose. I think I just learned something and hope to put it to use this spring.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Darryl:

You can email those two kentucky fishery biologist and get more information about that study. There should be a final report and there should be daily reports in some sort of appendix. They did another study the next year in Sledd Creek which is right up by the big Dam. They wanted to compare the two studies and see if the crappie in other parts of the lake did what they saw in Blood River. Now Blood River is huge compared to Sledd Creek but it appears that the crappie were doing similar things. You can also see this in the book "Crappie Wisdom" which was written by the Lindar Boys with the helps of some of the Kentucky Lake Guides as well.

And I should be getting Tim Huffmans Book "Seasonal Crappie Structure" which I hope to get some new information out of his book. I always enjoy his articles on structure and crappie in the Crappie World Magazine. He is a regular writer for that magazine.

One thing I might add. I have noticed that my Black Crappie in my Aquarium is more agressive than the two other White Crappies. It may be just that this one individual is more agreesive and not that the entire species of Blacks are more agressive but I sort of wonder. Black crappie don't seem to be growing as fast as my White crappie. I have been feeding these crappie minnows for over a year now and the one White Crappie is really getting visibly bigger. I may see just how big I can get him to grow if I don't run out of minnow money first. LOL

I wish that our state had the funds to preform those cool kinds of studies that KY did.

I have yet to see the IN guys do that as they just don't have the proper funding.

I noticed that the Black Crappie were the first to go into shallow water and they went into much shallower water than the white crappie's did. Maybe they eat something different than the white crappies. Insects maybe? The shallow water wams up faster and maybe the aquatic insects are hatching or moving into the shallow water in the spring and the Black Crappie are in there after the hatching insects.

It would be interesting to study the contents of their stomachs to see exactly what they are all feeding on. It may just be that they are chasing minnows in the very shallow water because they are more agressive than the white crappie.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    I took a closer look at the link Tim posted and Moose mentioned on the GPS thread. The maps showed a 3-month migration from pre-spawn to post-spawn of both black and white crappie. Very interesting!

On March 1, both were scattered in the basin of the cove. It appeared that the blacks moved in shallower sooner and stayed longer than the whites. The whites never did move in as deep as the black, probably spawned in relatively deeper water then moved out on the main channel ledges.

If you look closely too, all the crappie are around unique structure (points or ledges) in every map. Makes me want to get to know the waters I fish in more detail to surgically go right to where they are. Plus, if fishing unfamiliar waters, one should be able to use a map and zero in faster.

I wonder if that is a regular annual pattern? Plus, that would explain why the fast trollers using crankbaits do so well catching monster white crappie during the summer months.

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/crappieresultsspring04.asp

Thanks Tim and Moose. I think I just learned something and hope to put it to use this spring.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 12-04-2004 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling (dam only has 3 letters)
    Regards,

Moose1am