Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do they do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do they do it?

I was looking at CrappieUSA and CrappieMasters tournament results and where they fish them! I was just wondering how they afford to fish these tournaments? They fish lakes that are a pretty good distance apart! My thinking is gas for both boat and truck, lodging, food, entry fee, bait, and etc. Does sponsors pay these guys to fish them or do they just do it for the love of the sport? Maybe the winnings is great as I never seen what they paid out? I was just wondering and curious...since I seen some of the names mentioned several states away?
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely don't do it for the money... love of the game, crappie fisherman seem to be a great group in general, competition, and a chance for a monster fish. Most sponsors only help with free baits and discounted products. CrappieMasters is trying to raise the bar, with the $100,000 tournament on Truman... ($1000 entry), but lets hope that they get the 80-100 teams. I think I may give it a go, even though I never seen the lake in my life, just to support the higher stake tournaments! I think joining the "clubs" is a way to go, if your're looking to save some $$, and the competition is still very stiff!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife fished the women's professional bass tour for several years. She was able to get a great sponsor that picked up all travel expenses (motels, meals, etc.), entry fees, tow vehicle and boat maintenance and gas. The sponsor? ME!

She certainly didn't do it for the money! She didn't make much in prize money, but she had a great time, loved the competition, made a bunch of friends that she still stays in touch with, and is a lot better angler for the experience!

We were at the Crappie USA tournament weight-ins at Barkley last fall. Everyone seemed to be having a great time. She commented that the environment reminded her a lot of her tournament days.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to fish some tournaments but none of them even come to Louisiana. We don't have any clubs around here either. I guess I'm just forced to fish for fun

"Keep talkin smack and I'll make ya famous !!!"
    B&L Marine Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

sponsers, like triton gold that pays $$ when you win one of them with thier boat, added guiding fees on home lakes, advertising on boat, jersey ect...KYJOHN if you want to sponser some one else let me know
    The Speed of a Rhino The Power of a Gazelle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
    I would like to fish some tournaments but none of them even come to Louisiana. We don't have any clubs around here either. I guess I'm just forced to fish for fun
    Bluethunder you have the FJ series at Lake Washington this weekend and Magnolia Crappie Club at Lake Washington the following weekend.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie tournies are more ofa social or educational experience. You are investing in meeting new people and learning something to make you a better fisherman. It costs way more to travel to most tourneys than you will win in the long run. If you chose to fish one of the major trails, I would hands down fish the Crappiemasters. They give back most of the money to the fisherman and are backed by the sponsors to do it. They guarantee their purses and spots paid. Other trails only pay based on number of boats and may only pay three spots based on participation. This stinks when you have traveled 4 hours to see a purse less than $1000. Bass tourneys have the money figured out, but is at the cost of our fisheries? What does it do to a fishery after a week of one of the major trails being there? I have personally witnessed the club tournaments ruin one of the best bass fisheries in the U.S.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get have Crappie tournaments using mulitiple poles trolling live bait ? Would be more interested if they had rules setup more like Bass tournaments.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

In one word.

Blessed.

It's an investment in an expensive hobby. Even for those that can easily afford it, it's still tough to come up with enough vacation days to pre-fish and fish the all the events in order to stay competitive. I feel very fortunate that there's a club in Indiana that fishes a very competitive circuit where most trips average about 2 hours.

I sure hope it never gets the money that bass does...cuz who do you think they're gonna get their money from? Us...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    I don't get have Crappie tournaments using mulitiple poles trolling live bait ? Would be more interested if they had rules setup more like Bass tournaments.
    Pure speculation, but I'm betting what's important is the people that actually fish them. If my club listened to people that weren't in the club on how to run it, I doubt it would last very long.

Some clubs and series have single pole tournaments, while others offer different things for using only artificial bait.

Start your own and see how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast