Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The many soft plastic designs that have worked - including hybrids

Post Thanks / Like

Default The many soft plastic designs that have worked - including hybrids

I'm sure everyone who has fished artificials over the years has quite a collection they don't use. Over 10 years ago I decided to put them to good use by joining parts with a candle flame. The ones shown below actually worked very well and you may get a few ideas from some of them. One of the best things for cabin fever!!!

Post Thanks / Like

That is cool. Thanks for the post.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the ideas on the DYI PLastics sub forum. It is under jig tying. Sounds like you are a creative person. You might enjoy just making your own. Easy to do. Check it out.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the hybrids, I do pour my own plastics. For bass/pickerel I have over 30 molds; for crappie, I pour
    a panfish lure that requires no mold - a dipped lure. I think I will get back to using some of the ideas above just
    to get rid of all that stuff I no longer use. Of course, it won't be in my lifetime.... LOL

Post Thanks / Like

do you just have to get one part of the plastic hot and touch it to the other piece adn it bonds together?

Post Thanks / Like

I take the parts in both hands, hold each briefly over the flame, hold together for 4 seconds and done.
    If I applied too much heat and a drip formed at the seam, I roll the area over the flame to flatten it.
    The bond is permanent and strong.

Some lures like the Mr Twister Sassy Shad, I make slimmer by cutting off some of the belly. I do the candle
    thing to smooth edges. I believe crappie prefer a slimmer design sometimes and cutting off the belly makes
    the lure shimmy differently.