Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Keuka lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keuka lake

Hi all,we are staying at keuka lake this summer(wife is from wayland).I have never been there or new york at all.Is keuka a good speck lake?my wife grew up on loon lake,may try there as well.any info appreciated, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

they do catch some in the spring in the creeks in pennyan and branchport but not many people fish for them during the summer that i know of.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks alot frank,should we fish for bass or something else there in summer?we have alot of largemouth here no smallmouth or freshwater trout.thanks again for response.Lee

Post Thanks / Like

I did a little research and found this post from Joejv4 back in 2007. I thought it might help.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/new-y...e-crappie.html

Springtime in the grass beds should be good. I have fished Keuka Lake before, but it was mostly for Bluegills.

Branchport North end seems to be the spot. I can't wait till spring. My buddy Joey and I plan on fishing Keuka with the Kayaks.

Plus there are some realy nice spots at the North end of Cayuga Lake, Montazuma (May's Point) and Seneca River just a short drive from there.

Hope to see you on the water, good luck.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

thanks hellbender,great info appreciate the response,Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Keuka has good large mouth and good smallmouth fishing, I do alot of jig fishing in the weeds for large mouth and top water and jerk baits on points for smallmouth. also bucktail jigs deep for smallies. there are alot of guys trolling for trout but i don't fish sor them.

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up fishing the Branchport head of the lake, from a little South of the State Park ramp to the head of the lake and up "Sugar Creek" (officially called Guyanoga Creek).
    If you're going to be on the West branch of the lake, then this should be close enough that you don't need an hour to get there.

For crappie, they're in there (or used to be), but I don't know what the numbers are like these days, but I'd catch them from time to time - and they were BIG. See the post referenced above.
    Largemouth - hit weed beds in the main lake (coves & bays along shoreline), or in the NW corner, there's an area called "the basin", protected by a sand bar. Shallow water and lots of weeds, and lots of green carp.
    Smallmouth - East and West shorelines casting from the dropoff toward shore with bucktails, bass tubes, and anything mimicking crayfish. We also like drifting with crayfish fished just off the bottom in the early evening - smallies and big perch.
    You'll also find some nice chain pickerel in and around weed beds.

Good luck and tight lines!