Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to Crappies, are there any good Crappie Lakes/Ponds/Bays in Upstate NY?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Crappies, are there any good Crappie Lakes/Ponds/Bays in Upstate NY?

I have been fishing Upstate NY lakes and streams, especially the Finger Lakes, for years for all types of fish but have never fished for or caught a Crappie.

I would like to give Crappie fishing a run this coming season.

Could any of you recommend any Lakes/Ponds/Bays, etc. in the Rochester, NY area that are good for pursuing Crappie.

Also, any tactics (bait, jigs, etc.) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Trout Bum

Post Thanks / Like

just about all the rivers,lakes,and bays off ontario have crappie in them, alot of guys get them ice fishing but i don't ice fish. i start fishing at ice out fishing docks in bays when it gets windy i go to the laydown trees in the river systems.

Post Thanks / Like

Short answer is YES! You should be able to get them in I bay and Braddocks (sp?) Go for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Sodus Bay / Seneca River / Canandaigua Outlet / Cayuga Lake
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Guys get them in the Rochester area canals too. I've heard folks talk about honeyoye (sp?). There used to be good numbers in Silver Lake and I've heard that folks get them in Conesius too.

I would catch one now and then at Keuka, but never really targeted them.

Lots of options for you.

on to bait.... I'm personally a fan of 1.5" and 2" tube jigs. fathead minnows under a slip bobber work well too. A lot of guys have luck with feather or hair jigs, and I've gotten some on buck-tails too. Crappie feed up - meaning they ambush from below, so you'll want your bait higher in the water column than where the fish are holding. they generally will hit slow, steady moving jigs better than traditional jigging motions. You'll want a sensitive rod, as they can be very light biters. There are times where you'll feel a good solid "thump" when they hit, and other times when it will be a very light tap. I use a 9' noodle rod because the flexibility allows me to set the hook without ripping it out of their lip.

Good luck and tight lines!

Post Thanks / Like

I've had alot of luck with sexy tail shad on a jighead fished under a bobber. Fathead minnows are always a safe bet. I have caught a few on Rebel grasshoppers too. Don't count out small crank baits in the warmer months. Don't forget the Crappie Nibbles, tip your jigs and tubes with a crappie nibble or 2. Crappie nibbles even come in handy when the Bluegill bite gets tough. I have hooked a half a redworm and tipped it with a crappie nibble. The big bluegills love'em.

Good luck, and welcome to our Crappie.com family.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines