Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motor Batteries?

RustyO Guest

Smile Trolling Motor Batteries?

Hello Again,

As per previous message I have purchased the Minn Kota Power Drive 68 24 volt. Time to purchase batteries. Realizing you get what you pay for most of the time I am still wondering about the huge difference in prices. I see Sears Die Hard Marine Deep Cycle for 89.00 bucks, 750 cca. Optima Marine Deep Cycle similar amps is 200.00 bucks. I am not in the water every day trolling everywhere I go but when I am out I want enough power to get me along the banks and to get me to the docks if the gas engine fails. I'm using a Bow mount and pulling an 18ft pontoon. Any advise appreciated.

Thanks again,

Rusty
    Last edited by RustyO; 07-12-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Batteries

Delco Voyager.........................
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Default Batteries

You might also try used. Depends on your budget and what you are looking for. I get mine at Interstate. They are batteries that have been exchanged but they try to recharge them and then sell the deep cycle for 20 each. You'll be surprised at the amount of batteries turned/traded in just because they were not charged and presumed bad. I buy a couple deep cycle about every 2-3 years as needed and have only ever had one go bad. Don't know about battery stores in your area though. They don't have them all the time and sometimes you may have to wait a day or so.Just a thought
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

All I know is that the Optima (can be had for $179 for the cranking I think and $209 for the other) will still crank your boat if it has not been started for over a year. Not that I know first hand, but have been told they will out last other batteries by several years.

They are made different and I think that is my next battery.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Trojans or Delco Voyager... Don't have to fill the Delcos but the Trojans are the favorite of many tournament bass fisherman (Got a pair myself... they catch crappie too) May have to run a search to find a dealer. Often an independent dealer. No pricier than Delcos... Consider a dual purpose for your starting/depthfinder/accessory battery... Will last longer with constant drain of accessories than a regular starting battery.

Post Thanks / Like

2nd or 3rd on the AC Delcos! I have one for my outboard. I use a Everstart (Wally World) for the TM. I bass fished 12 hours straight at Sam Rayburn this spring and barely put a dent in it. It took less than 2 hours to recharge every night of the trip.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Auto Zone has a good marine battery and a good warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say Interstate. I have 3 and have had them for 3 years. put water in them once and have on several occations trolled for up to 10 hours without changing out the battery. If you have the money though I have read a bunch on Optima and they have the edge over all.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

After a lot of research, I went with the Delco Voyagers.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deep cycle ...

I see that you mention CCA when you talk about the Sears battery. For a deep cycle battery Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) are the least of your concern. What you need to be concerned with are AMP hours. Also, a lot of other considerations are how the batteries are constructed. You have your typical lead acid, your gel batteries and now absorbed glass mat.

Get the most Amp hours you can afford (typically around 205) and be sure to recharge the battery after EVERY use. If you get a standard wet cell lead acid be sure to check the water levels regularly and add additional distilled water and electrolyte compounds as necessary.

You can get a good, less expensive battery and have it perform just as reliably as a 300$ optima as long as you care for the battery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast