Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default cranks

I was just wondering if anybody drags cranks thru northern end of ky. or barkley in search of crappie? if you do would you mind sharing your way of doing it? thanks ted

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Ted ....

Quote Originally Posted by ted
    I was just wondering if anybody drags cranks thru northern end of ky. or barkley in search of crappie? if you do would you mind sharing your way of doing it? thanks ted
    I don't pull cranks for Crappie, as a rule, but have caught Crappie when pulling them for Hybrid Stripers/White Bass (Taylorsville Lake). I also pull cranks with a jig trailer ... usually a HotnTot with 12-18" of trailer line between the front hook eye and jig. This setup is also for Hybrids & White Bass ... but the jig will occasionally cross paths with a Crappie, too :D

Check out the "Articles" section of this site (see top of page - "Home" "Articles" "Brag Board" etc) .... look for article on trolling with crankbaits by J White. May be some useful info there.

There's also a post on the Main Message Board, about a "depth chart" (lure vs length of line out vs line diameter vs boat speed - for depth control) ... find that and contact specific contributing members for more info. You can PM them, or post your question in a new thread, there. ....... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have read all that and more . i am wanting to no if the river channel drop should be used or maybe some of the main lake secondary channel drops. or maybe the flats. I have been trying the secondary channels with very little success. more cats than anything and those largemouth. seems like i have to troll thru a brush pile etc. to find crappie . crappie aint suspended yet because of water temp being to cool or something else? 85 degree surface temp now.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done it for years but we used to troll the river channel in Barkley. We were after stripes mainly but would catch a bass or suager occasionally. Never caught any crappie using this method. My guess woud be to try the creek drops in the bays vs the main lake. Most all our crappie were caught in the bays year round.

Post Thanks / Like

with all the bait fish that are now showing up in the bays(creeks) i think maybe the crappie will be in there also. (just thinkin out loud)

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Ted ...

Quote Originally Posted by ted
    with all the bait fish that are now showing up in the bays(creeks) i think maybe the crappie will be in there also. (just thinkin out loud)
    You may be onto something, there. Have you read the Crappie Tagging Survey Results. KDFWR did a tagging study to determine Crappie movements during the Spring & Fall. Since Black Crappie are becoming the dominant species (in numbers), the KDFWR decided to tag some Black & White Crappie and see what difference there was in their movement patterns. Check out the results here: http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/navigat...7&NavPath=C101

Some surprising results were found. And, even though the study concluded in July, due to dying telemetry tag batteries .... you still might be able to extrapolate a movement pattern from the June results (weather pattern/water level/conditions). Crappie aren't going to be far from the dinner table :D ........... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

well i tried dragging 300s in one of them creeks this afternoon from the mouth28 ft of water back in to the 16ft depth , marked a lot of fish and bait balls at different depths and only caught 3 small stripes. been cloudy around here for three days. 1.7 mph

Post Thanks / Like

Ted, Go to Kentuckylake.com. On thefishing forum you will find a very recent post by Old Guide about fishing in the bays. He is a retiree that has started guiding again after several years of doing something else. He is very knowledgable and has some very nice pictures to prove his theory. He says that there are Crappie in the main bays of the lakes year round, never leave and can be caught if you will just go. It is just too hot for me. I should try some night fishing. I feel sure that he is correct.
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

BANDIT yea i seen that ! and as soon as i swallow this coffee im headed that way! TED

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Let us know how it goes! THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast