Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Almost struck out Friday on Stripers and Trout

Post Thanks / Like

Default Almost struck out Friday on Stripers and Trout

Went out again Friday with the wife and the oldest (21y/o) came along. I wanted to get out before dark so I could run the river a bit and get a feel for potential spots before dark but didn't make it. Was dusk as I arrived and didn't make it past the first bend before it was so dark I couldn't read the signs on if I was allowed to fish that area or not. So we turned around and headed to the spot we fished last week with success. Pulled up to the spot and it was already dark with the lights shining but first thing I noticed was the current was running the opposite direction so we flipped the boat to fish the opposite way. The wind was blowing so hard I couldn't keep the boat anywhere near position (water temps were mid-50s) and it was pulling the baits really fast. We had 4 hours to fish but called it after 2 and 1/2 due to everyone freezing and had only managed two fish. One redfish that was just under minimum and a striper that was just under minimum. Both came in the same general spot fishing similar methods but we could only manage a couple hits in that spot for the next 40 minutes. So, we tried to move but it was just too cold and the wind was blowing too hard so we headed home. Had fun fishing and was glad we didn't get skunked but I was disappointed we didn't get to add to the trout in the freezer from last week. That and I had promised some friends at work to bring them in some if we got any this week. Oh well, was nice to get out and feel some tugging on the lines though.

Tight lines,
    Brian

Brian C. ETC/SS USN Ret
    Virginia Beach, Va

Post Thanks / Like

hey Brian have you thought about tryin it during daylight hours?

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, I would love to go during daylight. I just don't know where to go and Dean gave me some real good info for locating them at night and it worked awesome. Daytime would be easier as the younger daughter could go as well so no worries about a babysitter. Remember, I just got my boat a year ago and this would be the first time I ever fished for stripers and trout. Well, I should say anything saltwater related except for from a pier.

Brian C. ETC/SS USN Ret
    Virginia Beach, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim.b View Post
    hey Brian have you thought about tryin it during daylight hours?
    Hey Brian,

Jim had a good idea. It might be worth a try in the daylight. A lot of people fish that part of the river for trout during daylight. Try trolling the same grubs around, as slow as you can go. Maybe even bump it in and out of gear. Daylight would be nicer for finding your way around. I only fish night time to avoid crowds.

Dean

Post Thanks / Like

Dean,

Yes, I would love to do that. I am not sure I was in the right spot though or the right part of the river. I haven't ventured far down the river at all. If you look at Google maps, I haven't even made it around the bend to the bridges (S. Military and 64). Do they still hang around the piers during the day? Have you tried trolling crankbaits or umbrella rigs or anything other than the jig? I just added some driftmaster mounts to the back of my boat to do some trolling this weekend down in North Carolina.

Brian

Brian C. ETC/SS USN Ret
    Virginia Beach, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brivabeach View Post
    Dean,

Yes, I would love to do that. I am not sure I was in the right spot though or the right part of the river. I haven't ventured far down the river at all. If you look at Google maps, I haven't even made it around the bend to the bridges (S. Military and 64). Do they still hang around the piers during the day? Have you tried trolling crankbaits or umbrella rigs or anything other than the jig? I just added some driftmaster mounts to the back of my boat to do some trolling this weekend down in North Carolina.

Brian
    Hey Brian,

You should make it to the bridges. I believe they are the epi-center of fishing Hot Ditch/E River.

Yes hard lures work also. You can try Mirror Lures, Rebel Long A and others. A couple of years ago, gold/black/orange was a hot color.

I have pulled cranks, but I do not pull umbrella rigs.

Dean

Post Thanks / Like

Dean,

Thanks again...

Yea, I mentioned the umbrella rig but then thought about it and moving that slowly they would just pull along the bottom and because of the arrangement I am sure it would snag often. I think you would have to move faster to troll with one of those out. I am thinking throw out one or two jigs and one or two crank baits. For the crank baits I can use a 3way swivel and put some weight on one leg and that would pull it closer (or all the way) to the bottom and keep it in the strike zone longer. This weekend I am headed down to Elizabeth City so won't get to try it until the following weekend but I am definitely leaning towards the day fishing for several reasons. Thanks for all the help definitely.

Tight lines,
    Brian

Brian C. ETC/SS USN Ret
    Virginia Beach, Va