Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Advice? Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Advice? Help

I am ashamed to say it, I have my boat since feb and have not put it in the water.

I wanted to get it check out first, but money got funny. I have decided to go for it. Tired of sitting around. If the motor stops I'll use the trolling motor to get back.

So please give me some suggestions on what I should check and how to check it. I just got some rabbit ears and a charger. They got 685 or 800 amp marine deep cells at walmart for 65.00.

Just a little boat matience advice is all I ask.

Thank yall
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Fill up a trash can with water and test your engine in it. Make sure your batteries are charger. Try to leave them on a trickle charger if you can. Make sure you have fresh gas, as old gasoline starts to turn to varnish or something and will gum up the carburator. Make sure spark plugs are good. The trash can test run should tell you that. Don't forget the plug. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

If the motor is used, check the lower unit oil. get a compression tester and check that too.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with tkpaul on the trash can. The suction cup ears can fool ya, water presure will flow through the motor and will look like the water pump is working while it may not be. later, after you know the pump works, use the ears if needed instead of wasteing 20-30 gallons of water in the trash can. If the boat has been sitting since feb, the gas will probally be stail, if there isnt much in the tank fill it up. If the tank is pretty full, pump or drain it out and start with good gas. I had motor problems and the gas tank sat unused for 4 months, I never got the motor to start with the old gas.
    Dont forget to check the primer bulb and rest of the gas line for leaks , and be sure the bulb gets hard when pumped.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Getting started

deleted
    Last edited by pescatore; 12-16-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question

Make sure spark plugs are good. The trash can test run should tell you that. Don't forget the plug. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget what plug? The spark plug?

And with the garbage can I do not need the rabbit ears?
    Last edited by mighty; 06-28-2006 at 01:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on primer bulb

Quote Originally Posted by sccamper
    IDont forget to check the primer bulb and rest of the gas line for leaks , and be sure the bulb gets hard when pumped.
    So is the primer bulb the thing you push to mix the gas and oil? If so should I check this with engine on or off?

Oh yeah how do I check the lower unit oil?

Stop laughing it my first boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default unused boat

I don't know if they have an Interstate battery place where you live or not. here in North Augusta, S.C. they have used batteries you can get. I buy the reconditioned deep cycle for 20 apeice. Have only had 1 go bad in years. That is all I use is two of them. I don't guess you can really call them recond. They get them in on pallets from auto parts stores and such and check the water and charge them. If they hold a charge you can get them. They don't have them all the time but pretty often. This does beat 75 and 80 dollars for one. Please add sta-bil to your gas. I am a firm believer in it and I use it in everything, boat gas, lawn mowers and such. Any gas driven equipment that sits for just a little while can benefit from it. I have had my boat set up for months at a time when i have been unable to take it out and it will almost always start on the 2nd pull. The primer bulb is on the hose and this is what you squeeze a number of times to pump the gas to the engine. Use caution and do not pump the pressure up too hard. There is a chance you could rupture the fuel pump diaphram in the carb. If you will look on the side of your motor foot you should see two flat head screws , one above the other. unscrew the bottom one and see if water leaks out. If it does drain it by removing the upper screw also to break the vaccum. To add the gearcase lubricant insert the tube in the lower hole and squeeze until grease comes out the top hole. Keep the tube inserted and replace the top screw. Then you can remove the refill grease tube and insert the bottom screw. Do this once a year. Also remove prop every so often and check for monofilament that may have been picked up from prior use. This will ruin your shaft seal if left in there.
    Last edited by Carl Palmer; 06-28-2006 at 01:13 PM.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you need to visit a boat shop and maybe pick up a manual for your engine. Someone reputable will be glad to give you a walk thru in hopes of getting your future business. Good luck, Ferdi

Post Thanks / Like

As much as you are using your boat I would recomend some fuel stabilizer, Sea Foam or Stabil or something like that. It should help keep your carburetor clean and prolong the life of your fuel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast